Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus) 12x150 Club

ElijahW

Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus) 12x150 Club

Post by ElijahW » Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm

NTS,

From time to time, Bob Leverett has suggested compiling a 12' CBH x 150' height list for Eastern White Pines. After locating two new ones over the weekend, I figured I would make a compilation of what I was aware of in NY State. As of now, my listing is at 13 members, all of which grow in the Adirondack region. The Grandmother Pine at Pack Forest, which lost its top a couple of years ago, just misses the mark. The 1675 Grove at Paul Smiths, NY, had several deceased trees that would have met the required criteria a few decades ago. This list is not an historical one, but a current one. I may have made mistakes and/or omissions; if anyone catches any, please let me know.
NY 12x150 Club.xlsx
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Elijah

ElijahW

Re: Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus) 12x150 Club

Post by ElijahW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:05 pm

NTS,

I was able to remeasure the Grandmother Pine at Pack Forest in Warrensburg since my initial post, and am glad to report that it has grown back to just over 150', and can be included in this listing. The old White Pine is now 150.2'; the circumference (169") hasn't been updated since 2017, but likely hasn't changed more than an inch or two. The tree is in OK health, but is missing some bark near ground level.

Elijah

dbhguru

Re: Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus) 12x150 Club

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Elijah,

Glad to hear it. Grandmother deserves to be a 150-footer. Did I ever tell you that the SUNY foresters there once listed its height as 175 feet? Tape and clinometer measurement as I'm sure you would have guessed.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Special Lists”