Long time no post

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

Long time no post

Post by John Harvey » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 pm

I have had some time to ponder things over the last few weeks because of the partial lockdown and I think I need to spend more time posting to this group and more importantly, just reading the posts here daily like I used to do. Being an admin over at Big Tree Seekers on Facebook has made me miss this group and shown me many of the short comings of "big tech". It seems like once something is posted over there...it's gone. It isn't archived like it is here and of course the work that goes into the average post over there, the ground work, is not even comparable. This site is, and always will be the heart of the big tree community. I remember when I first found the NTS BBS before I knew there were others and sharing trees with Barry Caselli, another South Jersey local. I see many of your faces over there, see many posts, I've moved thousands of miles since I joined, but this is home. Ok now to dig up something worth sharing with all of you...

Here is a 25'7" cbh Douglas Fir I found recently in Big Basin redwoods. This thing was tough to get a height on as the crown was so dense and no real vantage point to the top exists. I came up with 255' for the height although I suspect there could be another 5'+ on this one. There is also very little taper to this tree. It isn't exceptional for a DF but for the Santa Cruz mountains it is one of the finer specimens.
Attachments
Doug Fir BB no taper 25ft7in22.jpg

dbhguru

Re: Long time no post

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 02, 2020 7:53 am

John,

We welcome you back into the fold. As of late, the BBS has been lightly visited, but it continues to serves as an archive for valuable big tree/tall tree information available nowhere else. We also continue to make progress on measurement methods, although that subject is of relatively minor interest.There is just a handful of us who look to continue pushing the envelope. Still, this BBS serves us in that capacity.

The problem I've had with chatty social media is that, like you said, posts evaporate almost as soon as they are rendered. That kind of interaction is bound to be lightweight. It's like a perpetual sugar high.

We look forward to your renewed participation. Oh yes, there is a problem with posting images that has not been resolved.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Shorea

Post by Shorea » Sun May 03, 2020 5:23 am

I would add the Daily Digests notification email is also no longer working, and has not been working for quite a long time now.

At least for me and some others, we no longer get any Daily Digest emails.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 pm

John,

Welcome back. That Doug Fir is nothing to sneeze at. Nice work. I remember your early posts from New Jersey-so much has changed since then. Thanks for sharing,

Elijah

Return to “California”