New Height record Quercus Rubra, Northern Red Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

New Height record Quercus Rubra, Northern Red Oak

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Located in Pisgah National Forest, the new height record red oak stands on a slope in East Horse Cove, in the Davidson River watershed. It is 157.0’ tall, with a circumference of 14’5”. I would guess the age is in the 90-110 year range. It is extremely large but the crown is not battered, the tree has a wide crown but it still has some apical dominance.

The Welch Branch red oak is likely taller but I did not locate it when I was there a couple of years ago. It measured 156.3’ in 2011.

I posted pictures on the Facebook site but I am not able to get them to load on the forum.

ElijahW

Re: New Height record Quercus Rubra, Northern Red Oak

Post by ElijahW » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Brian,

Sweet find. Did you see the report I wrote on Ragged Mountain Reservoir in VA? It has two 150’+ Red Oaks, the taller one 156.0’. I had assumed the species got into the 160s, but I guess I was wrong. The VA tree I think is also around 100 years old and has an apical growth form.

Elijah

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Two 150’s, now that’s a first! My 157’ is large and has some age, likely 90-110 years. Smaller red oaks top 130’ next to it but tulips haven’t cracked 150’. There is no apical dominance on the East Horse Cove Beast. It has multiple points above 150’ on a very wide crown for a forest grown tree. It branches lower than most forest grown trees which may explain why it was left from being logged.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am

Guys,

This is very important information. We need to bring our maximum height list up to date. Jess Riddle used to maintain that list. It needs a new champion.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Bob,
I think I will try to work on maximums, at least for height, with the help of Will, and perhaps Jess. I believe there may be some height records that have not been reported. Check out South Carolina for a new redcedar champ as well.
Brian

Return to “North Carolina”