A 50m NY Pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

A 50m NY Pine

Post by ElijahW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 am

NTS,

This past weekend I had the opportunity to spend some time in the Saranac Lake area of the Adirondacks, mostly hunting deer, but also checking up on the outstanding White Pines north of Ampersand Mountain. The promising tract was initially located by Rob Leverett and later surveyed by Rob and Bob Leverett, Erik Danielsen, Jared Lockwood, and myself in 2017. Monica Jakuc Leverett and Betty Austin have also visited the general area. Our report can be found here: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8127.

Erik located and measured two 160’+ White Pines, the taller of which came in at 163.9,’ or roughly an inch and a half short of the 50m mark. So far as I know, no tree (in modern times) in NY State has been measured to a height above 50 meters using the sine (or another reliable) method. A White Pine in the 1675 Grove in Paul Smiths was reported to be 170’ tall at one time, but it certainly is not now. Other sites with White Pine and Tuliptree have shown much potential, but so far have not reached 50m.

Erik’s “Slow River Pine” is now at least 166.5’ tall, according to my Trupulse 200X. I’ll have to explain why I used the term “at least”: The mid slope location I chose resulted in a CBH of 13.21,’ which was less than the 13.27’ arrived at by the careful work of Erik and Jared in 2017; this means that my measurement of the tree’s CBH was higher on the trunk than it ought to have been, and that the tree is likely closer to 167’ tall. That detail may seem a little nit picky, but it does matter. Anyways, we have our first 50m tree, hopefully one of many to come.

On the same visit, I also measured three new additional trees of note:

White Pine

162.5’ x 13.12’
158.4’ x 9.92’

Tamarack

109.7’ x 6.56’

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Re: A 50m NY Pine

Post by dbhguru » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Elijah,

Congratulations! Over 50 meters - legitimately. BTW, the Grandmother Pine in Pack forest was once reported as 175 feet tall as measured by SUNY foresters using tape and clinometer. At the time, it was 145 feet in height based on a measurement using a transit. Grandmother was one of the early mis-measured trees that alerted me to the problem with tape and clinometer measurements. Jack Sobon, my timber framer-architect friend had learned the lesson a number of years before. He didn't trust the measurements coming from conventional sources. I learned a lot in those early days.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: A 50m NY Pine

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am

Elijah-

50m Wow congratulations! It is likely that many Pines in the South equaled are exceeded that height but that was long ago.
Ms. Loblollies are starting to reach heights of 150' and it is likely that in my lifetime they could attain heights of 160+.

Larry

Return to “New York”