Chestnuts in Bloom

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Chestnuts in Bloom

Post by Rand » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:42 pm

My chestnuts in NW Ohio bloomed in the last weekend of June.

American is the big tree in the background with Chinese in the foreground
chestnut-bloom-full.jpg
Closeup of American Chestnut catkins
Closeup of American Chestnut catkins
Closeup of Chinese Chestnut catkins
Closeup of Chinese Chestnut catkins

ElijahW

Re: Chestnuts in Bloom

Post by ElijahW » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Rand,

That's great to see. Almost 10 out of 10 Chestnuts I spot in bloom turn out to be non-American (mostly Chinese). The flowers really stand out against a green backdrop. Thanks for sharing,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Elijah,

I planted those trees back in the early 90's. It is outside the native range of the AC, so it has escaped the blight so far. The American tree didn't start bearing nuts till 2010, then got heavilly damaged by the 'summer in march' of 2012 followed by a cold snap. Took it 3 or 4 years to start bearing nuts again. Here is what it looked like today. Heaviest crop yet:
chestnut burs.jpg

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:50 am

Randy-

Good to see you have a tree that survives the blight and is producing. Do you grow new trees from the nuts?
Larry

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Larry,

The tree is growing outside the natural range of the chestnut in NW Ohio. Recently I've read that the blight actually lives on scarlet or black oaks, which aren't growing in this area either, so there is no reason to believe the tree is actually resistant.

The soil type isn't favorable for the trees at all (limestone, and very clayey) and indeed it seems to have grown ~ 2/3 of the speed of the native ashes, oaks, and walnuts. The biggest hurdle seems to be getting them out of the seedling stage. I planted 5, and only 2 made it, one nearly 20 years after the other. They experience very poor growth, with yellow chlorotic leaves, and then they just seem to grow out of it after awhile. I'm still trying to puzzle that one out.

Return to “General Discussions”