New Excel workbook for computing trunk volume

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

New Excel workbook for computing trunk volume

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Ents,

The attachment is a cleaned up version of prior workbooks to compute trunk volume by the the frustum method. The calculations worksheet explains the process. Jared Lockwood and I are giving this tool a real workout as we gather data for an impending scientific paper that is planned for Frontiers. We are documenting the reticle methodology for trunk volume modeling and comparing the results to obtained by two Forest Service volume modeling techniques. One is used in the COLE tools and the other developed by a FS forest biometrician named Charles T. Scott. The differences between results from our reticle modeling and the allometric equation developed by Scott are dramatic. Scotts model predicts greater volumes for small trees than what we obtain and the reverse for large trees. Little wonder that the prevailing belief is that larger, older trees are mostly senescent. More on this topic to come.

Bob
Attachments
VolumeOfConeparaboloidNeiloidFrustums-Template-8-13-2019 copy.xlsx
(607.93 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: New Excel workbook for computing trunk volume

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 am

Bob-

Thanks for the Updated Formula. I'll will give it a try on an Oak in my Backyard.

Larry :)

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”