Where Are We Going?

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Where Are We Going?

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 am

Ents,

Periodically, one of us pauses and asks where are we in NTS. I guess I'll come forward and do that. We've been at low ebbs before and came back, but this time, it feel its different. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but we've been at the game of hunting, measuring, and reporting on outstanding trees for 23 years and have amassed an impressive bank of statistics that give us insights into the maximum sizes that several dozen species can achieve. We've developed better methods for measuring tree dimensions than have come through the professions that deal with trees as resources or for landscaping. On occasion we've dabbled in touchy issues like biomass. All this has been done as volunteers.

When the BBS went down and Ed had the devil of a time dealing with the hosts, it sent panic through me. Had we lost our irreplaceable treasure trove of data? Fortunately, Ed persevered and won, but it is hard to forget what happened. I would be curious as to what others of you think about backup systems. Ed can't be expected to do it all. We would need to all work together and with and through Ed. It's time to do some serious planning.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

tsharp

Re: Where Are We Going?

Post by tsharp » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 am

NTS, Bob.
Want was the nature of the problem that Ed had to correct?

Larry Tucei

Re: Where Are We Going?

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Bob-

I agree with you. Most of the postings that I've done over the years I have copies of on my computer and an external drive. I think I will review
all my data and photos to make sure I have everything. Glad Ed was able to solve the problem.

Larry

Return to “General Discussions”