Who wants to check out a big Chestnut Tree?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Who wants to check out a big Chestnut Tree?

Post by edfrank » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello,

I recieved this email tonight and it would be worth checking into I believe:

My name is Darlene Reinoehl, I live in the Mahantongo Valley, my address is under Klingerstown, PA. I love trees and I love to go yard-sailing. Here is my point, yesterday I went to a sale in the town of Hegins and had to walk through a backyard and there was the most enormous Chestnut Tree I have ever seen, it was beautiful with a hugh trunk and large thick branches going in every direction. An elderly gentleman I talked to said his daughter keeps wanting to have it trimmed and he say’s no, apparently it’s been there since his father if I understood him correctly. I was just so overwhelmed by this magnificent tree I thought to myself there must be some place that records old trees like this and this is why I’m contacting you hoping you know what to do with this information. I don’t know the name of the people but I know where they are located. I would hate to see this tree damaged before it could be documented. If someone would need the name and address of this place I could find out.

if you want to check it out I will forward the email address to you.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: Who wants to check out a big Chestnut Tree?

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 am

Ents,

This is a job for the Ents in PA. Hope somebody is reading this.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

djluthringer

Post by djluthringer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am

Ed,

Could you please pass on Darlene's e-mail/contact information to me? I'd like to try and get down there to investigate.

Many thanks!

Dale

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Ed and Dale-

Long time no see. Wish I was up in New England I'd go measure it with you Dale.

Larry

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Dale,

Keep me in mind as I am only two hours drive away from that location. It would be awesome to finally meet up with you. Now a days I have a flexible calendar. Especially after September. I am a little hesitant only because I’ve seen some fat, low branching exotic chestnuts here in southeast Pa. But given its location it could quite possibly be an American Chestnut.

George

djluthringer

Post by djluthringer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 am

Hi, George!

Great to hear from you. Still waiting to hear back from Ed on contact info. Even when I get it, it probably won't be until late October before I'll have time to check it out. Currently in our busy summer programming season, plus... the powers that be have decided its also the best time of year to design our new park mini-map AND create interpretive panels for our new Park Office. So, it may be more timely for you to possibly check this one out. When I get more info, I'll keep you posted.

Dale

Return to “Pennsylvania”