Looking at Our Energy Future

Discussions related to the issues of forest preservation and environmental conservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Don

Re: Looking at Our Energy Future

Post by Don » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 am

dbhguru wrote:Don,

An interesting account. When we get together in Durango, we must talk about you writing your memoirs. That needs to happen. You've accumulated the life experiences here and abroad, and you think deeply about life and its meaning. By golly, between good food, good drink, good entertainment, good company, good trees, fabulous scenery, a worthy mission - life is going to be good - real good. Oh yes, and sherbet measured by volume in cubic feet.

Bob
Speaking of good drink....analogously, a local brewery of note (Midnight Sun Brewery) held their second annual Dunkathon...in a vat full of beer, measured in hundreds gallons...only cost $20...I didn't go, didn't think I could drink my money's worth on the way up!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

edfrank

The Fracing Process

Post by edfrank » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 pm

No fracking way
Friday, 09 July 2010 17:55 Jean Louis Deveau*
http://www.nbmediacoop.org/index.php?op ... Itemid=197

Squeezing gas from a rock below ground involves unconventional drilling practices. A well is dug vertically into the ground and then horizontally across the shale formation. A series of metal tubes are inserted into the drilled hole. These are cemented into place. The fracking fluid is then injected into the drilled well – under enough pressure to peel paint from a car – so that it causes the shale to fracture and release the gas from billions of pockets found throughout this rock. The gas comes up the well, along with most of the fracking fluids.

Click on image to see its original size

Scientists in the US report that 65 of the 300-odd compounds used in fracking are hazardous to both humans and the environment. Some cause cancer. A typical frack job requires between 11,400,000 to 15,200,000 litres of water – or enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool five to seven times. The water comes from different sources: municipal water systems, rivers, ponds, and lakes. Most of the water that is pressurized into the well spews out once the pressure is released. Each well can be fracked multiple times. Safe disposal is an issue, because the water that returns from the well contains both toxic and radioactive substances.

In the year 2000 alone, the world’s oil and gas exploration industry produced 77 billion barrels of wastewater (Khatib and Verbeek, 2003, Journal of Petroleum Technology).
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Forest Preservation and Conservation”