The Wagner Chestnut

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

The Wagner Chestnut

Post by ElijahW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm

NTS,

I had the opportunity yesterday to join Allen Nichols, president of the NY chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation, in measuring a mature American Chestnut tree on property belonging to Barry & Patricia Wagner in the town of Stamford, NY (Delaware County). The Wagners were very welcoming and I really enjoyed the visit. Below are a couple of photos of the Wagners and Mr. Nichols with the tree:
DSC01108.JPG
DSC01107.JPG
Verifying the tree's ID
Verifying the tree's ID
While the Wagner Chestnut fell a few points short of the current NY champion, it is now the largest-girthed living example known of its species in our state. The tree's measurements are as follows: Height: 59.3'; Circumference at 4.5': 72"; Average crown spread: 36'. Total AF Champion points: 140.

The most exciting aspect of this tree is that it is producing fertile nuts, and at an impressive volume. Barry was able to collect several hundred this season, some of which hopefully will eventually become mature and produce offspring of their own before succumbing to the inevitable effects of the blight.

I'd like to thank Barry & Patricia for their hospitality and Allen for inviting me on this trip. It was a real delight.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Re: The Wagner Chestnut

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 pm

What a nice Chestnut! Interesting to see the structure of their crowns when they have room to spread out, it feels like something between red oak and white ash. In forest-grown specimens they usually don't get much of a chance to develop that. Is the trunk showing any sign of blight?

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Erik,

This tree was in the woods until it was cleared to make room for the garage a few years ago. The branching pattern reflects that change in sunlight availability. I didn’t see any obvious signs of the blight on the trunk (no cankers), but the crown may have had some dead branches. Allen has looked over the tree much more closely than I, and has much more experience with blighted trees, and he seemed to think it was in good health.

In terms of crown structure, I agree with your comparisons. The curve of Basswood limbs also comes to mind.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Elijah- A nice Chestnut something that you don't see much. I have only seen one in northern Wisconsin back in 09 I think it was. I'll see about finding that post.
Chestnut.png
The Chestnut in Bayfield Wisconsin. CBH-12' 7", Height-48' and Spread-52' x 30' Larry

Return to “New York”