Petrified Wood

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Petrified Wood

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 pm

All,

Here's a chunk of petrified wood from my Dad's field in Missouri. I'm not sure how common a piece this size is. There are a bunch of smaller ones.
1 - petrified wood.jpg
2 - petrified wood.jpg
annual rings
annual rings
curvature of tree
curvature of tree
Matt

Don

Re: Petrified Wood

Post by Don » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:08 am

Matt-
I'm always jazzed seeing petrified wood, sand cast fossils, and all such life forms from way back in time. I found a sand cast of a giant horsetail, near a limestone cap over a 'rockhouse' on the Cumberland Plateau, on the Daniel Boone NF in SE Kentucky. It was about 8" in diameter, about 14" high and included exquisite detailing of the "leaf stubs" and venation along the 'stalk', and must have weighed 40 pounds...my crew thought I was nuts for carrying it back to the truck (in my cruisers vest).
Re petrified wood size, I know that every year, tons of pocket sized petrified wood disappears...but the actual petrified "logs" at Petrified Forest NP are of significant size (researchers actually used aerial imagery to investigate orientation relative to site contours).
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:51 am

► 1:58 www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0FEMPi_M8

I saw a standing petrified sequoia in Yellowstone in 1987. Petrified wood is much easier to find in dry climates.

Don

Post by Don » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Brian-
As a relative youngster in 1971, I was traveling east from the west coast seeking a summer's fortune. In route, I was passing through Colorado when I pulled into what was (and may still be) called Florissant National Monument. It is probably most famous for its "pages" of fossils where slate (shale?) when split yielded well preserved fossilized plants and insects.
As a budding forester, I was drawn to it more for its fossilized redwood stumps, rare enough of their own, but in my mind even more so for being at nearly 10,000'.
But to see a standing petrified sequoia in Yellowstone I should think is even more amazing!
-Don
Science Center

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 am

Matt- Way cool!! I love petrified Wood I have a couple of large chunks that I packed out of Colorado in 2000. I put them in my Pack and carried them for a mile or so down a small Mountain. I'll get some photos, they are redish colored. I also have some from Ms that I aquired here and there. These are white and gray. Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:26 am

Matt, what is the geological source for petrified wood in Missouri?
Joe

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:25 am

Joe wrote:Matt, what is the geological source for petrified wood in Missouri?
Joe
Joe,

I don't know enough about geology to make an educated guess, but this area is north of the Ozarks, up in the plains region. It's on the southern edge of glaciation.

Matt

Don

Post by Don » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:40 am

Joe/Matt-
I can't speak to Missouri, but through a large part of the Southwest, and specifically to Petrified Forest National Park:
"The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees that lived in the Late Triassic, about 225 million years ago. The sediments containing the fossil logs are part of the widespread and colorful Chinle Formation, from which the Painted Desert gets its name."

The Chinle formation is colorful, ranging through the purple-red-gray spectrum, and not uncommon in the Southwest, and quite often associated with fossils.
Science Center

Return to “General Discussions”