Cherry Patch Pond, Lake Placid, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Cherry Patch Pond, Lake Placid, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 pm

NTS,

Last week, my brother and I were in the Adirondacks on a hunting trip, and one of the areas we ended up in was a section of state land called Cherry Patch Pond, 1-2 miles east of Lake Placid, NY. From what information I've gathered, there's a Little Cherry Patch Pond on the north side of Rt. 86, and a Big Cherry Patch Pond on the south side. On the north side of the highway appears to be at least some old growth, including several impressive white pines, but I've no idea how much. The south side, about which I'm primarily inquiring, and which we walked through, had likely been cut, or at least high-graded, some time ago. The forest we were in grows on an elevated chunk of land rising up from the pond's edge and consists almost entirely of balsam fir and black spruce. Northern white cedar, tamarack and white pine are present, but not common. Deciduous trees include paper and yellow birch, black cherry, and probably red and sugar maple, though none stick out in my memory.

The balsam fir were the biggest I've seen, as were the black spruce, but I don't have much experience with either species in this age class (my guess is 100-150 years). Both species should easily top 100' in height, with respectable girths.

I also came across some very nice jack pines in a small section of forest next to the nearby golf course. The pines had handsome, upright forms, which I've not seen before, and some should top 90' in height.

I'd like to know if anybody is familiar with this area, or has made a visit here before. I know Jess Riddle and Bob Leverett have both spent time in the Adirondacks, but I didn't turn up any info using the search function on the BBS. I apologize for the lack of precise measurements and pictures, but this was not the main purpose of my trip. I do intend to return to the area, but it may be a while. Thanks,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

djluthringer

Re: Cherry Patch Pond, Lake Placid, NY

Post by djluthringer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Elijah,

I've been to the Lake Placid area several times, but have no tree measurements there. With family in tow, I didn't want to detract from the limited time in the woods to take any serious measurements. Saying that though I have been hiking just east of Lake Placid and come across balsam and black spruce quite regularly, depending on elevation & wetland quality.

To date, the only measurements I have on balsam fir in the Dak's come from Paul Smith's College in the the Elder's Grove. Howard Stoner has documented the tallest balsam fir there to 4ft CBH x 95.6ft high. That's slightly better than anything I've come across in the same general area.

I don't doubt that eventually we'll find a balsam in New York to break 100 feet with more sampling. I've been out of touch with so many on the list for so long that someone like Jess might've found a better one with all his exploits out of Syracuse.

Dale

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Elijah,

Given their location near the southern end of the main ranges of black spruce and balsam fir, I always wondered if the Adirondacks had some of the most productive habitat for those species. I only got to explore a few sites for them though, and never made it east of Lake Placid. Cherry Patch Pond sounds worthy of further investigation. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find.

Jess

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:02 pm

NTS,

After my latest trip to Cherry Patch Pond yesterday with Rob Leverett, I figured I should summarize what's been found so far. I expanded my survey area in 2015 to the Lake Placid Club Golf Course because of its accessibility; however, much of the state land on the north side of NY 86 appears to be old growth and needs to be explored in the future. Here are the measurements made as of today:

Eastern White Pine

124' x 11'3"
101'
93'

Balsam Fir

103.4' x 5'8"
89'
85'
82'
77'

Red Spruce

101.3' x 7'5"
87'
82'

Black Spruce

82'

Tamarack

90'
73'

Red Pine

95'
79'

Jack Pine

76'
79'
80'

Norway Spruce

94'

Arborvitae

70' x 9'3'

As you might guess, the trees with whole numbers for height and absent girth measurements are from a couple of years ago, and I didn't keep great notes for those trips. In addition to Red and Black Spruce, White Spruce is also present in large, mature form, but I have yet to measure any. The largest Balsam Fir listed above is the largest in girth I've seen by several inches, and with some more precise laser measurements from a tripod, may also turn out to be the tallest. It's a massive tree, given the species's normal diminutive dimensions.

The Northern White Cedar was Rob's find from a previous trip. It's a gorgeous and likely very old tree, with peeling bark soft to the touch and a leaning, twisting trunk. This was the second-largest of its species I've measured, the largest growing in Hoffman Notch to the south. With some more searching, a bigger one might be found on the same hillside.

Much thanks to Rob for his companionship and guidance on this trip, and to Bob Leverett and Monica, Rob and Betty, and Tom Howard for a great experience on our last trip. Photos below:
View toward the High Peaks
View toward the High Peaks
Wind-blown pine
Wind-blown pine
Planted Jack Pine on the golf course
Planted Jack Pine on the golf course
Jack Pine bark
Jack Pine bark
Tamarack needles
Tamarack needles
The Big Bertha Spruce
The Big Bertha Spruce
DSC01097.JPG
A pair of stellar Balsam Firs; 103' x 5'8'" tree on the right
A pair of stellar Balsam Firs; 103' x 5'8'" tree on the right
Largest Northern White Cedar w/Rob Leverett
Largest Northern White Cedar w/Rob Leverett
Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Elijah,

Glad you were able to get out with Rob. He does find some pretty neat stuff from time to time.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:00 am

NTS,

Last Sunday, 6/7, I returned to Cherry Patch Pond to check on the big Balsam Fir. I located it, and it’s doing very well; current dimensions are

Height: 108.7’
CBH: 5.69’
Average Crown Spread (5 spokes): 17’

The biggest Red Spruce mentioned above has fallen, unfortunately. A rough count yielded 175 growth rings at about 10’ from the tree’s base. A smaller Red Spruce nearby that had also fallen yielded about 170 rings at 19’. Assuming a lengthy seedling stage, both trees were likely over 200 years old when they died.

Along River Rd. in Lake Placid I also spotted two additional interesting trees: a Tamarack at 110’ and a Balsam Poplar at 85.2’. Both were on private property and were measured from the roadside.

Elijah

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 am

Elijah,

I haven't come across any 100 foot balsam firs. As far as I can tell, that blows away the old record of 95.6', also in the Dacks. The tamarack is tall as well. I seem to recall another tall tamarack reported on in the last couple of years but I don't know that it was that tall. You may have two records from this site.

Brian

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Elijah,

I just came across the Adirondack research listing. I’d never seen it before. I’ll update the Dacks in a couple of days. 130’ tamarack? Wowzers!

Brian

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Brian,

The Tamarack in Newcomb was 131’ as of last July. I’ll probably remeasure it next month. For the past three or four years I’ve kept a spreadsheet containing all 140’+ White Pines growing in Huntington Forest, which is where the Tamarack is. Huntington has the tallest White Spruce I’ve found in the Adirondacks (118’+) and possibly also the tallest Arborvitae and Red Pine, though those would be on posted land.

Elijah

Return to “New York”