new member, Craig D. Allen

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Ecoloco

new member, Craig D. Allen

Post by Ecoloco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Greetings, I'm a research ecologist with the US Geological Survey, grew up in Wisconsin where I still head back to make (red) maple syrup with family a bit north of Green Bay most springs, have been based in the Jemez Mountains of northern New Mexico since 1986, more at: http://www.fort.usgs.gov/CAllen/

My ecological research has been rather wide-ranging, from environmental histories of vegetation change and past/emerging patterns of fire to interactions with land managers on ecological restoration efforts -- in recent years working from multiple angles with many colleagues on climate-driven forest stress and tree mortality in the West and world-wide. Work I am involved with increasingly suggests that projected temperature increases this century of 2-4 degrees C may exceed the drought stress tolerances of historically dominant (i.e., old) trees perhaps globally, thus old trees and ancient forests may be at risk of wholesale die-off within decades -- given my love and appreciation of old trees, I find this deeply disturbing. So I have been thinking harder about what things are most important/constructive to be doing now, and my explorations into what other folks have been doing around such issues led me to run across the NTS online. I have tended to avoid bulletin boards (time/energy constraints), but NTS seems quite interesting and appears that it may be a venue to learn more and discuss some ideas that have been developing, so am looking forward to seeing what may emerge.

Craig

bbeduhn

Re: new member, Craig D. Allen

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Welcome, Craig. Most of the discussions on this forum are intelligent and often to lead to positive results. My experiences with online forums have been similar to yours (name calling, being dominated by strong opinions with little regard to facts, etc.).

Many of us are amateurs but many are scientists as well. It's a good blend.
Brian

Don

Post by Don » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Craig-
Welcome to our forum, and as co-founder of WNTS (the Western branch of NTS), I'm especially pleased with your interest in our site. As one who spent some excellent semesters at NAU (with Wally C. and Pete F.) from the mid-90's on, focusing on ecological restoration issues (Flagstaff Plan), I've found your name and work has been cited widely. As the Restoration Forester/Vegetation Program Manager at Grand Canyon National Park until I retired in 2007, your name comes to mind most familiarly in the Ponderosa Pine Forest Ecosystems and the role wildfire plays in forest structure and composition.

That said, the NTS-BBS originated in the Eastern US, then Westward, and now has spread surprisingly far and wide, with some pretty interesting folks informing us of native tree's goings-on in Scandinavia, Europe, Mongolia, New Zealand, South America, and more. If your interests in old trees (we still have those among us that won't give up the descriptor of old-growth despite how politically loaded it became) knows no boundaries, you've come to the right place!

Brian has characterized us well, as most all of are well practiced in self-restraint. This often surprises me, as I know how passionate many of our members are in their love of all things forested. Please feel free to inquire, explore, advocate, and express your self...you're very welcome here.

I know that the schedule of an academic is often full and committed far into the future, but I'm compelled to invite you to our 3rd Annual WNTS Rendezvous, this year in Durango, Colorado during the last week in June (26th through the 29th). While we have yet to find American Forests registry champs in the area, we have found surprisingly tall spruce at surprisingly high elevations, and usually part of the Rendezvous is out in the woods, in the hunt. I know that there are those among us, who would be very interested in your take on our advocacy for more accurate tree measurement (height, girth, crown spread), in the context of each of the tree species' size maxima.

Don Bertolette
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

DennisCrowe

Post by DennisCrowe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Craig, I just read your self-introduction at NTS this afternoon, and this evening just now came across a section in The Man Who Planted Trees by Jim Robbins (p27-29), referring to you and your work. Part of my high school and college years were in Colorado and the descriptions I've read of the pine die-offs are wrenching. Here in this part of northwest Wisconsin the diversity of our forests haven't been impacted too much by climate change yet, but each year of drought, like the late summer of 2012 locally, impacts the next season's health of paper birch, which are at the southern end of their range here. The damage to stressed trees is mostly by birch borer I am told. Well, as I write this I realize that we finished setting up for this year's hoped-for syrup run today; we've been harvesting mostly red maple syrup for 36 years and the 2012 season was the first crop failure. The crazy warm January and February 2012 affected the maples in ways no one here remembers. After a cold March the trees just did not run, but bloomed and leafed-out ok. This winter has seemed quite "normal" to everyone's relief and we are hoping for a "normal" run and the gifts of the trees.

I need to visit the West again to see what's happening. Thank you for your work; I look forward to your contributions here. Dennis Crowe

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”