Main Street Park, Weaverville, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Main Street Park, Weaverville, NC

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:12 am

This is a very small park in the center of town. It's comprised of 5-7 acres with some open grassland. I didn't get a Rucker. Enough species exist but the index would come out in the low 90s. Despite its size, it does hold some surprises. I'd been there several times, admiring a large white oak. I just discovered the second large white oak since the leaves came down. I'd passed near it several times and hadn't noticed its ridiculous number of branches as it is hidden behind undergrowth up on a small incline. The first white oak has a small opening at its base but looks to be sound. The oak of 25 spires looks fantastic from one side but shows a fair amount of rot from the other. It does have a couple of cables securing a several branches. English ivy and a bevy of other invasives surround the tree.
Siberian elm 12' cbh multitrunk
Siberian elm 12' cbh multitrunk
amelm.jpg (128.9 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
redcedars   57.1'
redcedars 57.1'
red cedars.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
white oak 13'7"
white oak 13'7"
white oak 1.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
~14' cbh white oak
~14' cbh white oak
white oak 15'8" cbh
white oak 15'8" cbh
white oak 2.jpg (196.92 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
25+  8" diameter branches
25+ 8" diameter branches
PTDC0012.JPG
PTDC0011.JPG
white oak 2a.jpg
white oak 2a.jpg (118.35 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Last edited by bbeduhn on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbhguru

Re: Main Street Park, Weaverville, NC

Post by dbhguru » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Brian,

One heck of a white oak. How about a name like the Medusa Oak?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Bob,
Come to think of it, I did get a bit stoney faced. Medusa suits it just fine.

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 pm

I actually worked on both of those trees, and we put the cable in the oak with the old scar. We took out the most dangerous deadwood, but actually left some large dead limbs to keep it natural; we put ropes over any we left and hauled on them to either break loose ends off or make sure they were sturdy enough to leave. Since there was no real trail or traffic beneath, it seemed a better plan than making a bunch of cuts in a big old wolf tree like that.

That's actually a Siberian elm by the parking lot, though. That's a sweet little park, isn't it? They did a ton of invasive plant removal in there, I'm curious if they've kept on it at all...

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 am

I know only a handful of invasives. The oak with cables is surrounded by English ivy and many prickly species. I haven't seen Japanese honeysuckle or multiflora rose. You did fine work on the oak. It does look very natural.

If that's a Siberian elm, then my guess is most of the elms I see around Asheville are also Siberian elms. Six Carolina hemlocks surround the parking lot and are in good health. Two hollies are thriving in the middle of the lot. A small pond was put in just below the entrance stairs.

I didn't spend much time on the height of the Medusa oak but roughed it at 85' with a 97' average spread.

pdbrandt

Willow Oaks in Efland, NC

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

Brian,
I love the pictures of the "Medussa Oak". It reminds me of one of my favorite willow oaks in Efland. Here are a few pictures. I have yet to climb up and get a height measurement (I don't have a rangefinder/clinometer), but the average crown spread is 88 feet.

Click on image to see its original size

I'll submit a full writeup with more pics once I have the height measurement.
Patrick

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Patrick,
That's a beast! I look forward to the full stats on it. I'm surprised the spread is "only" 88'. It definitely appears to have some height.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Partick,

Great jumping jehosaphat! That is the largest willow oak I've seen. looking forward to the full spectrum of stats.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:35 pm

bbeduhn wrote:I know only a handful of invasives. The oak with cables is surrounded by English ivy and many prickly species. I haven't seen Japanese honeysuckle or multiflora rose. You did fine work on the oak. It does look very natural.

If that's a Siberian elm, then my guess is most of the elms I see around Asheville are also Siberian elms. Six Carolina hemlocks surround the parking lot and are in good health. Two hollies are thriving in the middle of the lot. A small pond was put in just below the entrance stairs.

I didn't spend much time on the height of the Medusa oak but roughed it at 85' with a 97' average spread.
Brian,

I could almost count the number of mature American elms I know of in AVL on one hand. Red is much more common in natural settings (Town Mtn has lots of them) but Siberian is the most common (unfortunately).

Will

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 pm

The Medusa Oak is down. The area covered by all of its limbs is impressive. It was pretty much flattened when it fell.

Return to “North Carolina”