Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Post by James Parton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 am

First off, I did not post this to start a political debate or hate arguement on this forum!! It fact her politics are hardly brought up on the show at all. Whether you hate her or love her, the show portrays some beautiful imagery of Alaska narrated by the prettiest narrator I have seen in awhile. I have enjoyed watching it over the last couple of Sundays. It just makes me wanna visit that wonderful state. Please folks, let's keep our political thoughts to ourselves and concentrate on what is most important here, a show highlighting the great state of Alaska!

"Sarah Palin's Alaska takes viewers into the country's 'final frontier' through the eyes of one of its most famous citizens - Sarah Palin. Sarah is joined by various family members as she shares the state she knows and loves. Along with Alaska's great wilderness, the Palins encounter Alaska's fascinating residents and share what its takes to thrive in the country's largest state. "

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/sarah-palin-alaska/
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Justin

Re: Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Post by Justin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 am

Alaska is famous for its beauty. So, i am so interested about alaska facts. I think you are a citizen of alaska and you are well known about alaska. So, please describe me about the beauty of alaska, I want to travel alaska and see its beauty.

Don

Post by Don » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:03 pm

James-
A non-issue anymore...she's Arizona's now, having purchased a sumptuous residence there. There's a legendary character in western legends known as Seldom Seen Smith, which accurately describes her presence in Alaska...her character though is more like an Alaska legend known as Soapy Smith...
-Don
James Parton wrote:First off, I did not post this to start a political debate or hate arguement on this forum!! It fact her politics are hardly brought up on the show at all. Whether you hate her or love her, the show portrays some beautiful imagery of Alaska narrated by the prettiest narrator I have seen in awhile. I have enjoyed watching it over the last couple of Sundays. It just makes me wanna visit that wonderful state. Please folks, let's keep our political thoughts to ourselves and concentrate on what is most important here, a show highlighting the great state of Alaska!

"Sarah Palin's Alaska takes viewers into the country's 'final frontier' through the eyes of one of its most famous citizens - Sarah Palin. Sarah is joined by various family members as she shares the state she knows and loves. Along with Alaska's great wilderness, the Palins encounter Alaska's fascinating residents and share what its takes to thrive in the country's largest state. "

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/sarah-palin-alaska/
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Don

Post by Don » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Justin-
Thanksgiving last November, from our balcony at Land's End, Homer Alaska...
Sentinel at sunset....jpg
Science Center

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Don,
That certainly looks to be a Bald Eagle. What mountains are we gazing upon and what height?
Brian

Don

Post by Don » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 am

Brian-
We're looking at a bald eagle at about sea level, across Kachemak Bay. Here the mountains aren't all that high, having been worn down by glaciation. Were you to bag that peak, looking east by south east, you'd see the Harding Icefield fill your foreground...about the size of Rhode Island, it's far side emptied at Exit Glacier, back when it was 'building'. Exit Glacier is now receding, in hundreds of feet per year...startling when you've been visiting it for a decade or two!
How high are the mountains? I've snipped some more specific information than I can offer off the top of my head below:
Homer Airport is located at the head of Coal Bay, on the north shore of Kachemak Bay just to the east of its confluence with Cook Inlet. The shoreline to either side of the station curves toward the north, such that water lies within a mile to the south, west and east. To the northwest through northeast the ground has a gradual rise to 500 feet at a distance of 1 1/2 miles and then rises abruptly to 1,000 feet at a distance of 2 miles from the station. The nearest 1,500-foot elevation in this direction is Lookout Mountain, 4 miles to the north and northeast. The nearest 2,000-foot elevation lies about 12 miles to the southeast across Kachemak Bay, in the foothills of the Kenai Mountains. The width of the bay in this direction is approximately 9 miles. Continuing southeastward beyond Kachemak Bay, at a distance of 15 to 20 miles, is the ridgeline of the northeast-southwest oriented Kenai Mountains with elevations of 4,000 to 6,000 feet.

A Fall shot of mountain meadow environment follows, from an area to the north and east of the eagle picture in Homer, called Hatcher Pass...this meadow drains eventually down through Palmer and Wasilla, the towns made famous to the Lower 48, by this thread's namesake.
BeaverDamHatcherPass.jpg
bbeduhn wrote:Don,
That certainly looks to be a Bald Eagle. What mountains are we gazing upon and what height?
Brian
Science Center

Return to “Alaska”