The "Upper GRove"

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

The "Upper GRove"

Post by ryandallas » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:57 am

This is an edit made on 5/10/2020

In early 2019, I stumbled upon a grove of young, very vigorous and very tall tulips in Pequonnock SP. Unlike the LeClair TT grove, which grows at the bottom of the valley, this new grove--which I call the "Upper Grove"--grows on the western rim of the valley, largely exposed to the elements. This is good news, because it means tall tulips are not limited to well-protected areas.

The grove is about 200 feet long and 100 feet wide. At roughly the center of the grove, there's a cluster of six exceptionally tall trees. The tallest of these turned out to be 152.3 feet tall -- and its girth is only 6.25 feet! Another tree nearby was 149.1 feet tall, and it wasn't much bigger girth-wise. This might not be the tallest grove in SW Connecticut, but it might be the fastest-growing that I have seen.

The grove is at about 41.2596, -73.2164.
Last edited by ryandallas on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:17 am, edited 9 times in total.

ElijahW

Re: New grove of tall tulips found within Pequonnock Valley State Park

Post by ElijahW » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Ryan,

Sweet finds. The rest of the valley, heading north, looks like it has potential, as well. The whole thing sticks out like a sore green thumb in that heavily developed area. Thanks for sharing,

Elijah

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the comment, Elijah. The valley is indeed a gem. However, it seems unlikely there are more big/tall trees to be found in the park.

In addition to having some amazing trees, the park also has some cool geological features. Might post some of those if I get a chance.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:27 pm

With all these vigorous youngish tulip growth sites you've been turning up, it's clearly just a matter of time before you find that 160-footer.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Erik, the candidate for that title has been identified, all I have to do is figure out how to measure it. It's on undesignated town land, so I don;t know how to access it. I was thinking of wearing a reflector vest and a hard hat, so people will think I'm a town worker :) I do intend to do a write-up on TTs in Southern CT at some point before the leaves come out; I just have to hit a couple more sites. In my opinion, 160' is perfectly within reason for southern CT. Such trees would not be common, but they should be out there. The LeClair TT (measured at 155' by Bob himself almost 8 years ago) may have reached that height already.

Return to “Connecticut”