Henderson Shores Unique Area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Henderson Shores Unique Area

Post by ElijahW » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:52 pm

NTS,

I spent a couple hours this morning at Henderson Shores Unique Area, a state-owned property along the eastern shore of Lake Ontario. I didn’t do any serious measuring, mostly because nothing gets very large that close to the windward side of the lake. For a tree to exceed 50,’ for example, would be unusual. I did take an inventory of the tree and shrub species I encountered, as well as a few photos, and I’d like to share those.

Species Observed

Northern Red Oak
Bur Oak
Chinkapin Oak
Shagbark Hickory
White Ash
Black Ash
American Basswood
American Elm
Sugar Maple
Black Cherry
Paper Birch
Eastern Hophornbeam
Common Serviceberry
Nannyberry
Common Prickly-Ash
European Buckthorn
Northern White Cedar
Eastern Redcedar
White Spruce
Eastern White Pine
Common Juniper (ground-dwelling)
Redcedar dominates
Redcedar dominates
Prickly-Ash
Prickly-Ash
Northern White & Redcedar together
Northern White & Redcedar together
Common Juniper nearby
Common Juniper nearby
A nice Chinkapin Oak along the lakeshore
A nice Chinkapin Oak along the lakeshore
Looking across the bay to the north
Looking across the bay to the north
Redcedar is by far the most common tree in the Unique Area, probably followed by White Ash and Shagbark Hickory. I was hoping to come across some nice Nannyberries like Jess Riddle several years ago, but I only saw a handful of young ones. Overall, this Unique Area is a great place for a quiet walk, and the lake views just add to its beauty.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Re: Henderson Shores Unique Area

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 am

What an interesting place! I bet the herbaceous flora is also unusual. It would seem like a good place to look for Rock Elm, though it may not be there. I saw signs for this place while driving up to the adirondacks when we were up there together, and wondered what might be there.

ElijahW

Re: Henderson Shores Unique Area

Post by ElijahW » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Erik,

I thought it was great, even though devoid of large trees. I was on the lookout for Rock Elm, but didn't come across any. It may still be present, though.

The Unique Area and adjacent Robert Wehle State Park were used for military training until after WWII, so the landscape may have been more diverse in earlier times. The off-trail wetter areas likely would be more interesting; parts of the main trail are choked with what appears to be Pale Swallow-Wart and lined with European Buckthorn - not a great aesthetic combination.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”