St. Paul's Cemetery, Hancock, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: St. Paul's Cemetery, Hancock, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:39 pm

NTS,

I remeasured the two tallest pines in Hancock today. Both did well last year; they now stand at 156.0’ and 153.4’, respectively. Any change in circumference was not discernible.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:05 pm

NTS,

I remeasured the two tallest White Pines at St. Paul's Cemetery today. They now stand at 157.1' and 154.2', respectively. I aim to measure these trees annually to see how their growth progresses. In a couple of years, more pines in this stand should reach the 150' mark; when they do, I'll add them in here.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Very impressive that a pine from this unassuming site has budged its way up into NY's top 10 for height like this. I think it says a lot about how many sites would potentially have 160'+ white pines if it weren't for the history of clearing and converting land to other uses.

Larry Tucei

Re: St. Paul's Cemetery, Hancock, NYE

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 am

Elijah- Congratulations on your finds. I love White Pine it is such a Majestic looking specimen. All the Whites that I have measured are in northern Wisconsin. Your photos could pass for Wisconsin or Michigan so similar. Way cool! The 150+ class of White Pine is a milestone. I only measured a few over 150 at Cathedral Pines northeastern Wis. back in 2012-13 I believe. Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Erik, Larry,

Thanks. I had no idea how much White Pine grows in the Delaware River watershed until I started exploring the area a few years ago. I think the size and heights within virgin pine stands may have matched those in the Adirondacks, except for perhaps the best the upper- and mid-Hudson River nourished.

Elijah

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:25 pm

NTS,

I revisited the Hancock Pines today and remeasured the tallest two. Here's where they're at:

White Pine 1: 158.2' (+13" this growing season)
White Pine 2: 154.9' (+9" this growing season)

Elijah

Return to “New York”