European buckthorn sprout a year after being cut!

Discussions and news related to invasive and exotic species affecting our trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

European buckthorn sprout a year after being cut!

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

From an email I received today. This is from the Allegheny National Forest in northwest Pennsylvania. European buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) is extremely invasive.
I was in the area this morning and checked on the roadside buckthorn Gary or I found last year and which Gary and Justin cut and sprayed last July/August. I have attached two photos of a re-sprout on a section of the old trunk which was cut in about a 2-foot section and laying horizontally on the ground. Keep in mind this buckthorn was cut almost 10 months ago, and the "log" did not have any roots sprouting from underneath so all nutrients had to come from whatever was left in the wood. I have seen this with aspen but that is usually a severed trunk which was cut in January/February and then gets green in May until the nutrients and moisture leave the wood, approximately 5 months. I never would have imagined anything could re-sprout from a cut stem after 10 months! The extraordinary resilience of this stuff continues to amaze me…
P1020020.JPG
P1020021.JPG
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

JHarkness

Re: European buckthorn sprout a year after being cut!

Post by JHarkness » Thu May 31, 2018 2:21 pm

I have observed this on amur corktree, the untreated stumps and completely severed logs are resprouting to the same degree, neither showing any signs of stress. One individual that was completely girdled last fall has completely leafed out and is in apparently perfect health. It's a shame that the invasive species that threaten our forests and wild lands are capable of doing this, while most of our native trees and shrubs will die from much more minor injuries.
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Invasive Species and Tree Diseases”