Party Time - Jake Swamp Pine Reaches 170'

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Party Time - Jake Swamp Pine Reaches 170'

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 pm

ENTS,

Today, I went to MTSF to remeasure the Jake Swamp white pine, tallest tree in Massachusetts, and so far as we know, New England. The tree was climbed by Will Blozan in 1998, Michael Davie in 2001, and Will Blozan in 2008. Here are the measurements for 2008, 2009, and 2010.

Year Height Girth

2008 168.5 10.5
2009 169.3 10.5
2010 170.1 10.55

WHOOPEE!

Jake Swamp gets a party in October! So far as I am aware, it will be the first recorded party for a white pine, celebrating the tree's reaching a height threshold. I am unsure what others think of the party idea, but it is meant in good fun. It will be held at the Charlemont Inn, not at the tree. We take extra precautions to protect the tree.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Party Time - Jake Swamp Pine Reaches 170'

Post by James Parton » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Bob,

It's good to see you in your home woods again. I am sure Jake and the other trees really missed you.

A party for a tree!? There is nothing wrong with that. Now you just gotta go hug Jake!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Jake Swamp White Pine
JakeSwampTree1.jpg
JakeSwampTree1.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 pm

That is great! Bob in your opinion, which white pine in Mohawk has the best chance to hit the "200' holy grail". I know Jake is the tallest now... but are there any catching up to Jake be it more protected or superior crown structure that would best support more wood to reach the 200' mark?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 am

Marc,

I have no way of knowing, but I doubt of any of the Mohawk pines will make to 200 feet. I think they have too many obstacles to overcome in this period of climate change. However, beyond the 9 Mohawk pines that already are in the 160 Club, there are plenty more that should make it into that class, a few into the 170s, and maybe one or two into the 180s. That is if everything goes well. Presently, there are 110 over 150.

I have to think about Mohawk grove by grove. The Elders Grove has 2 pines over 160, but they are older trees. We may eventually get a couple of 170s there. At the other end of the age scale, the Frog Pond Pines are young and have good protection. The tallest is now around 147. It is growing very rapidly, but has a long way to go. Time isn't on its side. It will make it into the 150s, and eventually, maybe 160. The Pocumtuck Pines have good protection and the tallest is around 158. However, the Pocumtuck Pines are crowded and one good wind event could take most of them down. I could see a few of the Pocumtucks eventually making it into the mid-160s. As I take the Mohawk, grove by grove, I am inclined to think that if any can, the Pocumtuck Pines are the only ones that have the combination of water and protection to possibly reach the super numbers.

I think of the Cathedral Pines that grew in Cornwall, CT that were once the flagship pines of New England. That stand had one tree over 170 and a lot of 150s. Then there are the examples of Cook Forest, Hearts Content, and Anders Run in PA. There is the Elders Grove in the Adirondacks, and let's not over look the super pines of the southern Appalachians. Two hundred feet is an elusive accomplishment. The great whites can do it, but only rarely.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”