American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

miwinski

American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Post by miwinski » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:58 am

I am wondering if anyone has any information about locations on public or private land that features American Chestnut remains, stumps, snags, downed logs? I am working on an art project featuring American Chestnuts and was wondering about sites I could visit. Anyone have any places I could start. I have been to Ramseys Cascade Trail in TN in the Smokey Mountains. Any other sites? Thanks Pictures and maps would be helpful as well as contact info for private land owners who might be willing to allow me to see the sites on their property.

bbeduhn

Re: American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm

I know of an outstanding one that I will post soon but it is off limits. Cataloochee, in the Smokies, has some really nice ones. Somewhere on Caldwell Fork Trail I saw several impressive ones. I believe there was a post in the last couple of years on the board about chestnut snags. Try searching for it by keyword.

Bosque

Re: American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Post by Bosque » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I bet you know about the one in Big Ivy at the wide pull-off on the right going up the F.S. road. I was sad but not surprised to see this relatively tall young tree dead this month.

Carol

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”