Hermosa Creek

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Hermosa Creek

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:38 am

WNTS/ENTS,

Yesterday, Don Bertolette, Don's wife Rhonda, Monica, and I went to lower Hermosa Creek to revisit the champions crowned last year on that trail. We re-measured the Schrater pine. I got 160.8 feet this time. Last year Laura Stransky and I gave the pine teh benefit of teh doubt on readings and listed its height as 162.0 feet, but that measurement does not survive the test of time and multiple measurements. We must settle for 160.8 feet. That is still the height record by a lot for the sub-species.

The measurements for the Douglas fir and the Colorado blue spruce held up at 158.0 and 156.0. I was relieved over that. Other measurements will be taken over the next week.

Don and I will also address the challenge of measuring average crown point offset for western species. Our results will signal the start of a serious effort to profile western species.

We're getting ready to go to Fall Creek and look at old pinyons and junipers. Some quick images of the Fall Creek meadows. Our elevation is just over 7,000 feet. The Hermosa Cliffs rise to the west, culmination in an overlook at just under 9,000 feet. The first image shows Monica in the meadow. The view looks eastward toward a small ridge, the Animas River valley beyond, and lofty, burnt Missionary Ridge. In the image, I focus on Monica and the meadow.
MonicaInMeadowSmall.jpg
Looking westward, we see the Hermosa Cliffs.
HermosaCliffsSmall.jpg
A close up of one of the rock formations.
RockFormations1Small.jpg
Now, it is off to pick up Don and Rhonda and go the the place of the images.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Hermosa Creek

Post by James Parton » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Bob,

What species is the Schrater pine?

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 pm

Bob,

Awesome! I do wish I could be there. I KNOW you are placing pins in the trees at DBH so everytime it is remeasured it will be the same. Good boy!

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm

James, Will, et al.,

Here are some more details on our brief Hermosa Creek trek of yesterday. James, the Schrater Pine is a ponderosa.

On Lower Hermosa Creek, there was a race going on yesterday. In includes a bike component, a traverse, kayaking, and maybe more. The traverse part was a traverse across a ravine. The image below shows one of the contestants.
TheTraverseSmall.jpg
We renewed our acquaintance with an old friend, an old ponderosa along the trail. The next image shows the trunk.
PonderosaSmall.jpg
Here is a view of the Schrater Pine. It is doing just fine, all 160.8 feet of it. To get new measurements, Don located the mid-slope and held that spot.
SchraterPineSmall.jpg
Will, quess what? A mouse got into my backpack and stole all my pins. Darn mouse. The visit on next Thursday will see pins at midslope on these trees. promise.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Colorado”