Greetings from Sherborn!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Delphigrup

Greetings from Sherborn!

Post by Delphigrup » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:48 am

Hello,

My name is Steve Gaskin. I am Chairman of the Sherborn, MA Conservation Commission and President of the Asian Art Society of New England (http://www.asianartsociety.org). I like trees, particularly old, large, native trees. I grew up in California with the Bristlecone Pines, Sequoias and Redwoods. We have a small house in the jungle in Belize, and I have planted jungle hardwoods there so that I can enjoy watching them grow. We have some nice mahogany trees out back.

I have gone on hikes in Western Mass. to see primary-growth forest. It's too bad we don't have more of that out East, and that we have lost some of our major tree species to invasive fungi.

I look forward to participating in the group.

Steve Gaskin

dbhguru

Re: Greetings from Sherborn!

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Steve,

Welcome aboard. Western Mass is also my home, and our 1200 to 1300 acres of old growth has been a constant part of my life for 30 years. Along with colleagues, I'm spending a good deal of time developing an interpretive guide to the Mahican-Mohawk Recreation Trail. The best part goes through Mohawk Trail and adjoining Savoy Mountain State Forests. Approximately 40% of the State's old growth forest lies in the two state forests.

We look forward to hearing from you. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Bart Bouricius

Re: Greetings from Sherborn!

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Glad you have joined, I live in Costa Rica most of the year and have been measuring trees in Costa Rica and Panama. I am wondering if your Mahogany trees are Swietenia macrophyllaor the smaller Swietenia humilis ? S. macrophyllacan attain truly gigantic proportions, though most of both species have been logged out and are now both endangered. Please send me an e-mail so I can contact you. My wife and I also live in Montague, MA in the warmer weather.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”