"The sap still smells fresh"

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 am

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archiv ... ps=gravity

Notice how bored the interviewer sounds.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sunken+c ... +Louisiana

"The stumps are between six and eight feet in diameter."

The samples they collected on Raines's first dive contain more than 400 tree rings, but Harley expects to find 1,500 or more rings on each full stump. So many rings would indicate that the forest thrived two millennia before sea level rise buried it deep beneath the ocean floor.

Old news apparently
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Larry Tucei

Re: "The sap still smells fresh"

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:24 am

Lucas- I remember reading about this last year or two. Hurricane Katrina uncovered this Fossil Forest off Alabama and it was really interesting. I guess someone will make a film documentary on it. I hope so anyway, not everyone can Dive on something like that. Northwestern Florida has something similar called the Timberhole, people have been diving it for years. I would imagine that just about all coastal states would have some buried? What do you think? Larry

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:06 am

Larry Tucei wrote:Lucas- I remember reading about this last year or two. Hurricane Katrina uncovered this Fossil Forest off Alabama and it was really interesting. I guess someone will make a film documentary on it. I hope so anyway, not everyone can Dive on something like that. Northwestern Florida has something similar called the Timberhole, people have been diving it for years. I would imagine that just about all coastal states would have some buried? What do you think? Larry
It is likely common and just has not been explored like most things under water.

There is a 5000 year submerged forest here for example.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

sungirlblue

Post by sungirlblue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

wow! i would love to see the documentary. i have never heard at all about any of this, thank you for the post, Lucas :)
the trees, they dance. i love to watch ~

Return to “General Discussions”