Black ash symposium, Bemidji, Minnesota

Reports and Listing of past Events and Trips 2010

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lee Frelich

Black ash symposium, Bemidji, Minnesota

Post by Lee Frelich » Thu May 27, 2010 11:10 am

ENTS:

I just returned from the black ash symposium in Bemidji, Minnesota. Minnesota has 940 million ash trees, about 700 million of which are black ash, so this is an important topic for us.

The opening presentation (by myself) highlighted ecology of black ash forests, including the types of sites where black ash grows, disturbance regimes, future successional paths if black ash is killed. This was followed by presentations on Black ash decline, Cultural importance of black ash, potential replacements for black ash if wiped out by the emerald ash borer (EAB), the status of EAB, factors that affect susceptibility to EAB, dynamics of EAB in forests of Michigan and Ohio, invasive species that are entering as the ash die, modeling the spread of EAB, integrated pest management for EAB, silvicultural options for forests that may be impacted by EAB, slowing the spread of EAB, markets for black ash wood, quarantines for EAB, the search for resistance to EAB, including breeding for resistance with genes from Manchurian ash, potential for genetically modified black ash with genes from Agrobacterium that may allow trees to make their own insecticide, and finally, collecting and preserving seeds and genetic material from black ash. There was also a demonstration of making black ash baskets by Native Americans, including pounding the logs to separate the rings to make wood strips for weaving baskets.

The symposium website is at this address:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/chippew ... ndex.shtml
In a few weeks, the powerpoint presentations will also be available to the public, except for items that are restricted by copyright and/or peer review and prepublication embargo.

Lee

dbhguru

Re: Black ash symposium

Post by dbhguru » Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Lee,

I am impressed that there is a count of black ash trees for Minnesota. Are there count for other species as well?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Lee Frelich

Re: Black ash symposium, Bemidji, Minnesota

Post by Lee Frelich » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Bob:

Yes, there is a count for every tree species in every state as well as nationally, based on the number of trees found on FIA (Forest Inventory and Analysis, from the Forest Service research labs inventory group) plots. These plots are systematically placed across the landscape, which is divided into hexagons of a few thousand acres each, and one, two or three plots are placed in each hexagon, depending on the density of sampling in each state.

The FIA home page is here:
http://fia.fs.fed.us/

Anyone can generate reports for various states or regions within the U.S. For species counts its a simple ratio of the numbers of species found on plots to the entire landscape, using area covered by the plots to the total forest area in the region of interest.

Lee

dbhguru

Re: Black ash symposium, Bemidji, Minnesota

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Lee,

Thanks. I just downloaded a massive Excel workbook with about 64 spreadsheet. I'll see where it gets me. My the trees do lose their identity in the aggregates don't they. It is easy to see where the desensitization process begins.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Events 2010”