Hello from upstate NY

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

morgan

Hello from upstate NY

Post by morgan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 pm

My name is Morgan Wright. Big tree buff from way back.

In 1975 when I was 20 I discovered the largest American Hornbeam in the United States, in Milton, NY. It was US champion on the American Forests list from 1975 until around 2000 when it was dethroned by the 10 year rule. I've spent the last 10 years trying to get it re-throned but the state of NY is not getting off their backsides. The NY DEC actually measured it again around 2010 but never filed the report.

In 2011 I discovered the largest American Elm in NY. Once again, can't get the DEC to come out and measure it. It's in Johnstown and was 188 inches around and 85 feet tall, but is probably 190 inches around by now as trees grow.

dbhguru

Re: Hello from upstate NY

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Morgan,

Welcome aboard. Yes, that is a gorgeous elm, and I expect that you are right. It has probably grown a couple if inches in girth. I hope DEC will respond to the email I sent you, copying them. We'll see. Any way, it is good to have another peeson from New York. The state has unlimited possibilities. One species that needs lots of attention is the cottonwood. There are some humungus cottonwoods in the Empire State. I've measured them to 26.7 feet around and 134 feet in height. I do not believe that I've got the biggest of them.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”