AFA Tree Measuring Guidelines Working Group

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Iowa Big Tree Guy

AFA Tree Measuring Guidelines Working Group

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Fellow NTS members,

Has anyone else heard about the American Forestry Associations big tree working groups. One of these groups will deal with determining which species should be eligible for inclusion in the national register. The other group will work on modifying the measuring guidelines.

The Measuring Guidelines Working Group is the one that interests me the most. I have applied for a spot on this commitee and I thought some of you might be interested as well. This is a chance to make some modifications to the existing guidelines to hopefully improve the accuracy of the tree measurements in the National Register of Big Trees. Another goal of this group is to devise a plan to deal with trees with atypical form, such as low forking and multiple trunked trees.

This may not be the total solution but it is a big step in the right direction. I intended to send this post much earlier but I have been very busy. If anyone is interested in applying for either of these working groups, please hurry since the cut off date is April 15th.

Mark Rouw
Attachments
M G Working Group from AFA.docx
(22.7 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

edfrank

Re: AFA Tree Measuring Guidelines Working Group

Post by edfrank » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Mark,

Yes I have sent in an application and perhaps some others have also. I hope we have many NTS in the group.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “General Discussions”