Poplar Forest

Project documenting the forests at the Poplar Forest owned by Thomas Jefferson in Virginia.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Poplar Forest

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 01, 2010 7:08 am

ENTS,

I was contacted yesterday by the chief archeologist of Poplar Forest near Bedford, VA, and he is very definitely interested in an ENTS visit to measure and document the significant trees of the Poplar Forest estate. This combined with Montpelier gives ENTS to highly significant projects of great historical importance - at least they can be presented that way.

As more information becomes available, I'll look to set up an official visit. However, at this point, I'm thinking of mid-November, if that works for others. If not, then it would be next March.

These are exciting times for ENTS.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: Poplar Forest

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 07, 2010 6:42 am

ENTS,

It looks like the Lord of the Rings, Grand Ent Dr. Dave Stahle will join us at Poplar Forest as part of an ENTS team that will study the trees on the property from several perspectives. This is going to be a major undertaking. As o now, I presume Ents who will participate include:

Will Blozan
James Parton
Larry Tucei
Gary Beluzo
Dave Stahle
Yours truly
Gaines McMartin (?)
Ed Frank (?)

There's plenty of room for more. Remember, Poplar Forest was Thomas Jefferson's other estate and the one most closely associated with the tuliptree. Our association with the estate is as prestigious as it gets.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri May 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Bob,

I would love to attend. March would be better for me. In November I am always short of vacation time from work.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

james loftis

Post by james loftis » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 pm

I could make this trip if you are looking for people. November or next March.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 12, 2010 7:40 am

James Loftis,

Yes indeed. We can get more done if we have a team on site working on different tasks. Meetings at Poplar Forest and Montpelier are being scheduled for the period Nov 16-18.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

james loftis

Post by james loftis » Wed May 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Nov. 16-18? Awesome, my birthday is Nov. 16...sounds like a good gift. Hanging out with good people and good trees. I will keep my eyes peeled for updates considering this project. Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Sat May 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Bob,
Sorry but I am working at that time. (it seems that I am always working yet I get every other week off) Just let me know if there is going to be round two and maybe something will hit on my week off.
Beth
Trees are the Answer

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Beth,

Round 1 will occur this November. Round 2 will occur next March, and there will likely be a round 3.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:10 pm

ENTS,

Tomorrow, the rubber hits the road - literally. Monica and I head south for a glorious 2-week stint in Virginia. Dogwoods and redbuds galore. Monica and I will revisit James Madison's Montpelier, do the Poplar Forest project with brother Will, Dr. Nancy Weiss, and maybe Professor Gary Beluzo. Then Monica and I will really kick off the Blue Ridge Parkway forest guidebook. Loads of fun. On our return, we'll head to Cook Forest to develop a video on tree measuring with big Ed. Sweet!

This flurry of ENTS projects is accompanied by work on: Neil Pederson's TT project, the Dendromorphometry book, the Triangle Solver, evaluation of new equipment, and planning for the upcoming western WNTS rendezvous in Pocatello, ID. It appears the latter will be sparsely attended: Don Bertolette, Michael Taylor, Monica, and yours truly, but the mission is elevated. We'll be in search of the tallest Pinus monticola on the planet. I'm sure that the discoverer won't be me, but most likely the master, himself, Michael Taylor. Unseen heros behind the scenes through all this will be WNTS webmaster Ed Frank who will insure everyone sees our trip reports and Dr. Don Bragg who puts the serious stuff together in his submissions of our exemplary Bulletin.

There are other projects unfolding including the important GSMNP tuliptree study led by Will. I have my usual updates on MTSF and so on. So much for a leisurely retirement. There are accomplishments of others. The ENTS database is now active and Steve and Randy are going full steam ahead in Ohio. Hopefully Jennifer Dudley will continue producing her excellent videos from the Big Apple, and then there those two stellar performers from Europe:Kota and Jeroen. They truly add a touch of class to ENTS and their work and dedication is outstanding. I'm sure big Larry from Mississippi will continue the flow of discoveries of outstanding live oaks. Larry is unstoppable. Well, we can't leave out James, George, Steve, Turner, and Dale. They periodically drop some real tree bombs on us.

One unsung hero of ENTS is Josh Kelly. His use of LIDAR in North Carolina has opened up the floodgates to absolutely spectacular forest sites that we heretofore had no clue as to their existence. The best may still be to come. Thanks from all of us, Josh. I could go on, but back to the subject of this post.

Poplar Forest is a class act project. It ties ENTS securely to Thomas Jefferson and his interests, two of which were trees and mathematics. The continuation of the Montpelier project is equally prestigious, and has been successful. If the Poplar Forest project is successful, I have hopes of future joint ENTS-Poplar Forest projects to illuminate facts about the trees that likely grew in Jefferson's time. Presently, we're focused on tree modeling. I have exercised my trunk-limb modeler and it works like a charm. Here is the stuff we'll be using:

TruPulse 360 (1)
Nikon Prostaff 440 (2)
Nikon Prostaff 550 (2)
Macroscope 25 (2)
Macroscope 45
Tripod (2 or possible 3)
Homemade transit (1)
Laser level with horizontal angle measurer (1)
Plumb bob (1)
GPS receiver (3)
My laptop computer with Excel spreadsheet trunk-limb modeler and Chipmunk Basic program for Triangle Solver (1)
Will's laptop with plenty on it
iPhone with camera and numerous apps (2)
Scientific calculators (4)
100-foot tape (1)
200-hundred foot tape (1) plus whatever Will brings
Suunto clinometers (3)
Will's climbing apparatus
4 other laser rangefinders and 2 clinometers for demonstration to the public (Monica's job)
One sturdy mule to carry the above
Endless capacity to talk about our passion
Headache powders

If Gary Beluzo joins us, the above equipment list will expand dramatically. Egads, we're a bunch of wild folks.

With the passing of my paranoia on not doing enough on the ENTS measuring mission, I've settled down to appreciate just how much we are accomplishing. The best days of ENTS are yet to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 am

hey Bob,

Have a great trip. Sorry I cannot join you. I have just returned from Dixie myself. It has been a lovely spring so far. Visiting that part of the country this time of year always brings the lines

"I'm gonna set my feet on Southern soil
and breathe that Southern air
."

to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywDJMP0zOQ

Looking forward to what you discover!

neil

Return to “Poplar Forest Project”