Oak Alley Vacherie Louisiana Re-Visit

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Oak Alley Vacherie Louisiana Re-Visit

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 pm

NTS, I have been in contact with owners of Oak Alley and they asked me to come back down to measure the Live Oaks in the back of the Mansion. I decided to take advantage of our 70 degree weather and went this past Saturday. There have been some questions as to the ages of some of these trees and I'm to help them with this project. I measured 23 Live Oaks on the property and have concluded that 8-9 trees south of the house where most likely planted at or around the time of construction of the Mansion 1837-39. Although this is a let me make this clear an ESTIMATION I believe it to be close. The remainder of the trees planted from the Mansion south to the back of the property were most likely planted by the Stewarts in the late 1920's. You can see the size differences of the Oak in the photos. I also measured two of three Live Oaks east of the Mansion at the Overseer's Cottage and they to would have planted at or just after construction 1837-39. This would make all of the largest trees in the photos around 170 years old. The Live Oaks in the front of the Mansion forming the great Alley are much larger than these trees in the back. Now as for measurements I'll start with the largest. CBH- 19’ 4”, S- 105’ x 78’, H-70’ CBH- 19’ 3.5”, S- 112.5’ x H-97.5’ CBH- 19’ 3”, S-154.5’ x 84’, H-79.5’ CBH- 19’ 2”, S-108’ x 99’, H-66’ CBH- 17’ 6”, S-118.5’ x 88’, H-80’ C-17’ 6”, 102’ x 99’, 69’ C-17’ 1”, 123’ x 83’, 63’ C-16’ 1”, 131.5’ x 117’, 64.5’, C-14' 6", 142.5' x 69', 75' All of these Live Oaks have older growth characteristics, thick bark, larger limb mass, root mass, etc. The two larger Live Oaks at the Overseer's Cottage measured CBH- 17' 10", SP- 111.5' x 96', H-57', CBH-15' 1", S-99' x 84', H-60'. The remainder of the trees were much younger and although some are getting CBH to 16' they just don't have the older characteristics. CBH- 16'7, C-15' 7", C-15' 2", C-15', C-14' 11", C-14' 5", C-14' 4", C-12' 8", C-12' 1", C-11' 7", C- 9' 11", C- 9' 11". Some photos with the different trees. Oh and an added surprise a huge Water Oak that was at least 16-18' CBH. I'll measure it the next time I go back and some flowers were in bloom. http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/welcome.html Larry
Attachments
Live Oaks large and small in the back of the Mansion
Live Oaks large and small in the back of the Mansion
One of several larger Live Oaks in the back of the Mansion
One of several larger Live Oaks in the back of the Mansion
Live Oaks 2.jpg
Live Oaks 3.jpg
Live Oaks 4.jpg
Live Oaks 5.jpg
Live Oak at Overseer's Cottage
Live Oak at Overseer's Cottage
Water Oak
Water Oak
Bird of Paradise
Bird of Paradise
Azalea
Azalea
Back of Mansion and Older Live Oak
Back of Mansion and Older Live Oak
Oak Alley
Oak Alley
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Oak Alley Vacherie Louisiana Re-Visit

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Holy crap!!! What's the history of the place? Has it been in one family, or sold several times? Amazing trees! It reminds me of a mansion my wife and I visited in Charleston SC a couple of years ago that had an almost identical live oak-lined road leading to the front of the mansion.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:23 pm

James- Oak Alley was built by Jacques Telespore Roman in 1837-39 and was a huge sugar plantation with much history. I went back and added a link to the posting you will find it interesting. Oak Alley was one of many, many plantations along the Ms River from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. I have been to Oak Alley, Destrehan, Houmas House, Ormond and Hermitage Plantations all which have large Live Oaks. These are only a few of the twenty or so remaining plantations in Louisiana. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 am

Larry,

If anyone ever doubted the dominance of the live oak as the very symbol of "oakness", I predict that this post will make converts. And your photographs are stunning. Absolutely stunning. The role of the live oak in the South as a landscape feature, symbol of power, and just a huge tree with a great personality comes through in ever single image. Larry, you must have gained a heck of a reputation down there. You seem to be getting access to the very best places. You make us proud and you have humbled us up here in Yankee Land. When the weather warms a little, I'm going to hit the road in search of new white pines to measure and photograph.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am

Larry,

Nice job with all those measurements. That must have taken a while. I like that you always include some historical background with these oaks.

Tyler

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

Bob, Thank you for all the kind words and it’s been my pleasure working on the Live Oak Project these past 6 years. I always look forward to new discoveries and there will be much more to come on the Live Oaks of Louisiana. I added the 19'+ CBH trees to the listing which is now at 208 Live Oaks with 19' CBH or greater. I'm also working with the owners of Oak Alley on some growth rates they have from 1977 to the present more on that later. Tyler- I had some help from a friend and we spent about 5-6 hours measuring. On the way back home I stopped to measure a large Live Oak on Hwy 18 that I saw earlier on the way in and will post it tonight. Larry

Return to “Louisiana”