New Member-Mark Collins

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Mark Collins

New Member-Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Hello! My name is Mark Collins and I am currently living in Mendocino County in Northern California. Last fall I was bitten by the tree hunting bug and have been having an incredible time exploring the forests and learning about the local logging history. I've been spending a lot of time in the redwoods and I am currently trying to learn as much as possible about the various California conifers. I used to brake for wildlife, wildflowers, and mountain views, but now I brake for trees!

dbhguru

Re: New Member-Mark Collins

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 am

Mark,

Welcome aboard. You are among friends. I also brake for the things you listed. Will you be photographing your new found interest? If you wnat to get into measuring the big trees, Michael Taylor is part of NTS. He's the redwood guru's guru. Anyway, welcome.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 am

Welcome, Mark! Do you have lots of cypresses in your area?

--Ryan

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Welcome! Next year my wife and I will be headed to California to see the Redwoods. I'll definitely be in the Mariposa Grove, and maybe some others.

Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's great to be surrounded by such a wealth of information and such interesting people. Bob, I do take a lot of photos, and have currently been looking for the large giants since I don't have any height measuring equipment. I kind of feel like a middle school student again, when I first began my musical journey, after listening to my brother's tapes many years ago. The tree journey has just begun. Just wondering where it will lead to. I was honored to bump into Michael Taylor by chance a few months ago in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

Ryan, there are a lot of cypress in the area. I've seem most of them on the coast, but I don't know too much about them. There is one rather large cypress growing off the 1 that I pass every Friday on the way to work that I'd like to get a picture of one of these days. James, thanks for the welcome, you won't be disappointed by the redwoods.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”