Four trees named state champs

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Beth

Four trees named state champs

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 pm

First of all I would like to state up front that I have not verified any of the following measurements nor did I write the article. I have copied from the 8th page of the Missouri Conservationist volume 74, issue 11, November 2013.

"The past few months have been active ones for Missouri's State-Champion Tree Program, with four new champions certified.

A tree on St. Louis' Forest Park is the new state-champion cucumber tree, Magnolia acuminata. It stands 76 feet tall and has a spread of 81 feet and a trunk circumference of 11 feet, 10 inches. This species' common name comes from its cucumber-shaped seed pods. Although it is related to the flowering magnolia, its flowers are not showy.

Another new champion, a shingle oak (Quercus imbricaria), lives in St. Louis' Bellefontaine Cemetery. It measures 109 feet tall, has a spread of 95 feet and trunk circumference of 14 feet, 6 inches. Bellfontaine Cemetery also is home to Missouri's state-champion American elm.

A black maple (Acer nigrum ) growing in Cooper County has been declared co-champion for its species. It stands 52 feet tall and has a spread of 67 feet and a trunk circumference of 8 feet, 10 inches. The other champion black maple is on Boone County, on land owned by the University of Missouri.

A tree growing at the Eastwind Community in Ozark County is the new champion black gum tree (Nyssa sylvatics ). The tree stands 92 feet tall, has a circumference of 104 inches, and a spread of 34 feet. It replaced the old champion black gum, a 109-foot tree on Caney Mountain Consevation Area that was claimed by strong wind in 2012.

Could you have a champion tree on your area? To find out how big a tree must be to qualify, and to learn how to enter a tree in the program, visit mdc.mo.gov/node/4831."

For most of the members in here the last paragraph will not apply to you but I've included it to be through. There is also a nice picture of the cucumber tree along side the article.
Trees are the Answer

Matt Markworth

Re: Four trees named state champs

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Beth,

Great to see a post about my home state Missouri! Sometimes I wish I was closer and could spend more time measuring there.

Matt

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Give Ed the credit. He nudged me to take a look at the BBS since I hadn't been on for a while.
Trees are the Answer

Climbatree813

Post by Climbatree813 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 am

Very nice! I wish I had an active state register to nominate for. Minnesota's has been down for awhile (budget) and trees are only confirmed if the DNR can find a city forester willing to check the measurements.

Return to “Missouri”