Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part II

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part II

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 pm

NTS- On Jan 1st I spent the afternoon locating the several 140' Lidar hits on the East side of Green tree #1. The area is just South of Duck Blind # 14 and is just North of Oktoc Creek. The Grove of about 70 Loblolly Pines grow at a 40 acre site along the Oktoc Creek. Mixed Hardwoods around the area are reaching heights to 130 and are typical Bottomland Species. Cherry bark Oak, Southern Red Oak, Water Oak, Hickory, Sweetgum, Sycamore, Black Willow Oak, Ash, Cypress, and Swamp Chestnut Oak, the understory trees are mostly Hornbeam. The Pines are spread out in small groups of threes and fours. The first set of three I encountered had heights to 132' and CBH to 10' 4", the second set of Pines measured 135-138' with 10 CBH. The Pines here are almost magical and it is the only Grove of Loblolly reaching 140' that I have seen in Noxubee!
Mother Pine 2.jpg
I was now reaching the center of the Titans and it was clear that the few I were under reached up to 140'+.
Mother Pine 4.jpg
Mother Pine 1.jpg
The first one I measured I called the Mother Pine she had a Height of 142.5', CBH-10' 7", it was awesome to find Pines of this stature.
Mother Pine 3.jpg
I always knew somewhere in the Refuge Pines would reach 140 I just never could locate them enter Lidar!!!!
Grove of Titan Loblolly.jpg
The Titans from the South looking North Oktoc Creek is to the South 100 yards. The Grove is located at N 33 16.510 W 88 45.326. I measured three more 140's at 141.5', 143.5' and what really blowed me away one unfortunately struck by lightning to 148.5'!!!! It started raining so my time with these Giants was cut short but I will return to make sure I measured them all. I would suspect that these trees were left when this area was logged in the 1930's and I'd guess them to be in the 150 year old range based on Loblolly's I measured at Congaree to 244 years. I don't know how large or Tall Loblolly reach in the Deep South. This area of Ms. is hit with F3-F5 Tornadoes at least once every decade and in fact just north of this site less than 1/2 mile twice in the last 20 years. Hurricanes also spawn Tornado's up here as they move inland from the Coastal Region. Loblollies Pines don't get much better than these at least not all in one Grove. Larry

Chris

Re: Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part II

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 pm

They look so, so much taller than anything else in the forest (from the pictures). Are we thinking they were left as some seed trees?

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Chris- That is a possibility but I'm not sure. I would love to core that dead tree to get and age on the Grove. The Forest here is second growth and this small 40 Acre area may have been cut in the mid 1800's instead of the early 1900's. Noxubee has tens of thousands of Pines in the 3' CBH range but few reaching these heights. The Area Manager wants me to meet with the Refuge Forester and I will see what he thinks. They also have records and I believe photos of the logging done there long ago. It would be way cool to see some of that stuff! Larry

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:27 am

Larry--let me know the next time you plan to head over to Noxubee to measure some trees...I'll see if I can't join you. I've been looking for an excuse to get out and measure some big loblolly pines, and this sounds like as good of a place as any!

Don Bragg

Return to “Mississippi”