Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm

NTS, Another nice Live Oak for your viewing pleasure that I measured in Gulfport Ms. The Ramon Winnie Morse Oak measured CBH- 20' 8", Height-60' and Crown Spread- 138' x 132'. The great tree had some huge limbs and is one of four larger Live Oaks in this section of the city. I have measured one of the four others back in 08 the Nora Fulton Oak CBH-24' 3" and will get to the other two in the near future. The listing is now at 202 trees. Larry
Attachments
Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak 1.jpg
Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak 2.jpg
Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak 3.jpg

ElijahW

Re: Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak

Post by ElijahW » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Larry,

Nice oak. A small village might fit under that tree! Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Re: Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak

Post by dbhguru » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:16 am

Larry,

The race is on. You must find as many 20-foot girth live oaks as Michael find 350-foot tall redwoods. The ENTS pride and reputation is on the line. Don't want you to feel any pressure. If you don't find another 21 live oaks that reach 20 feet in girth, somehow the rest of us will survive the unbearable humiliation. We'll banish any thoughts of committing .... Well, dare I say. Nope, don't feel any pressure. Uh, when did you say you'd make 223?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Ramon and Winnie Morse Oak, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 am

Bob, Darn I must get out and kick it up a notch or two. We can't let those western trees beat up our eastern species. Hahahah! I believe that 300 Live Oaks on the listing in the future is not out of the question. Larry

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Nice.

Is that pole stabilizing it (and those are just guy-wires) or is that a power pole?

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

Chris, It is a power pole on the corner of the property. There is an Alley right next to the tree so you can drive right up by it. A couple blocks over another Live Oak is growing about the same way and a giant limb overhangs the road. You drive right under the limb it is really cool. It may be 18' CBH but I will go and measure it anyway for a future posting. I have to wait till after Hurricane Issac though. Oh no not another Hurricane. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”