Picayune Oak, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Picayune Oak, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:12 pm

NTS, Saturday I went to Picayune a small city located in southwestern Perry Co., Ms., about 30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. I found the largest Live Oak in the city and added it to the Live Oak listing now at 196 trees. The Picayune Oak grows at 306 S. Magnolia St. The tree is around 150 years old and measured CBH-20’ 5”, Height-57’, Spread-134’ x 125’. A smaller Live Oak but still a beautiful tree. Two Live Oaks were growing at this location this was the larger of the two. Most likey the site of an old homestead in the 1850's- 60's. Larry
Picyune Oak 1.jpg
Picyune Oak 2.jpg

Bart Bouricius

Re: Picayune Oak, MS

Post by Bart Bouricius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03 am

Another nice Live Oak for the collection. I have a question about these trees. Are the trunks significantly taller before they branch out in trees that have grown up in a more natural environment as opposed to on lawns? I should have noticed this when I lived in North Carolina.

Bart

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Bart, When the Live Oak is in a Forest enviornment they tend to grow taller than the ones in open settings. Just like other trees that are crowed they reach for the sun. I wish I could go back in time and see if there were pure stands of Live Oaks that did spread out to 150'. Reading accounts from William Bartrams travels Live Oaks were large in the 1700's but mixed with other trees in the Forest. But he decribes them as being very large trees with huge trunks and long spreading limbs. So yes to your question and they can spread out after they reach maturity in a Forest setting. Larry

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Another nice Live Oak. It always seems like there can't be anymore of these big oaks hiding [in plain sight] but you keep finding them!

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Chris, Thanks. I'm finding less and less this size in Ms., but there are still lots I haven't been to in Louisiana. I do know of a few more in Ms.,within 30 miles of me but the rest are 60+ miles from me in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida and Georgia. We have thousands of Live Oaks in the 14-18' CBH range but the 20'+ CBH are rare maybe less than 500 in all the Southern States combined. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”