Live Oaks of Beauvoir, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oaks of Beauvoir, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:32 pm

NTS, Today I visited Beauvoir in southern Ms., the last home of Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy. The trees on the property are not large but are more historical.
Beauvoir House
Beauvoir House
Beauvoir means Beautiful View in French. The annual Fall Muster was taking place so I decided to take advantage of the event and look for large Live Oaks at the same time.

Directors Mr. Forte and Mr. Flowers,
I enjoyed my visit today at Beauvoir and as I promised here are the results of your 3 biggest Live Oaks. The 3 Oaks I measured are in the 150-200 year old range. Most of the Live Oaks on the property would likely be in the 75-150 year old range. One of the Live Oaks that had been cut down that is pilled north and west of the House had some really fast growth rates. The smallest rings were 1/8" and the largest to 7/8" radial growth. The cut tree I measured was 4' 9" in Dia., and I counted 90 -100rings.
Live Oak Ring Count
Live Oak Ring Count
Live Oak Ring Count
Live Oak Ring Count

Jefferson Davis Oak CBH- 14' Height-45' Crown Spread-84' x 90'
Jefferson Davis Oak
Jefferson Davis Oak
Jefferson Davis Oak
Jefferson Davis Oak
Verina Davis Oak CBH-15' Height-36' Crown Spread-81' x 99'
Verina Davis Oak
Verina Davis Oak
Verina Davis Oak
Verina Davis Oak

Sarah Dorsey Oak CBH-16' Height-66' Crown Spread-99' x 102'
Sarah Dorsey Oak
Sarah Dorsey Oak

The Jefferson Davis home and outbuildings are outstanding. Everyone has done a great job of restoration after Hurricane Katrina. I have always favored the property for its beauty and History. The Fall Muster was a really interesting site to see and I enjoyed it much. Again thanks for letting me measure and photograph the Live Oaks at beautiful Beauvoir. http://www.beauvoir.org/
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Parton

Re: Live Oaks of Beauvoir, MS

Post by James Parton » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Larry,

Live Oaks don't have to be giants to be beautiful. But it helps!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Re: Live Oaks of Beauvoir, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 pm

You know James small Live Oaks are trees too. I hear ya man! The Jefferson Oak was a double trunk but Hurricane Katrina broke off the other side. James I added a link to the original post. Your pal Lowland Live Oak Larry

Return to “Mississippi”