Horner-McLaughlin Woods, Michigan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DougBidlack

Horner-McLaughlin Woods, Michigan

Post by DougBidlack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm

NTS,

I visited this 90 acre forest that is owned by the University of Michigan in November of 2018. The forest is close to Ann Arbor in Washtenaw county and I had visited the site once in May, 2009 without making any measurements but I knew I just had to go back to make a few measurements. I was most impressed by the swamp white oaks and the good numbers of twinleaf. Here are a couple of pictures I took back in May of 2009 around a small buttonbush swamp with some nice swamp white oaks within and around the swamp.
Horner #1.jpg
Horner #2.jpg
I only measured two trees in November last year but they are really nice trees. The first was a black walnut that was 13.06' in girth and 103.5' tall while the second was a swamp white oak that was 12.79' in girth and 109.5' tall. The big swamp white oak is larger than all of those in the pictures above. Both of these trees are the largest in girth for their species that I have measured in Michigan but I know of several larger ones of both species that I simply haven't measured yet.

I think this is my last post before I submit the Michigan 2018 list.

Doug

Return to “Michigan”