Live Oak from Biloxi and Ocean Springs Ms

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oak from Biloxi and Ocean Springs Ms

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

NTS- Here are some images of two Live Oaks that I have measured in the past in Biloxi Ms.
Edgewater Park Oak.jpg
The first a multi-trunk tree the Edgewater Park Oak and the second much larger tree the Coliseum Oak.
Coliseum Oak.jpg
The Coliseum Oak measures CBH 21' 3" 62.5' tall and Crown Spread was 113' x 98.3' x 120.9' x 102.5'. The next two images are of two new additions to the Live Oak Listing. The first on front beach Ocean Springs the Fort Maurepas Park Oak a 20' 6" tree with a 69' height and a small crown of 94' x 84'.
Fort Maurepas Park Oak 1.jpg
This tree had limb damage from Hurricane Katrina and is on a slight ridge that runs the length of the Beach.
Fort Maurepas Park Oak 2.jpg
It also has a lean toward the northeast and it is showing older growth characteristics. The next Live Oak grows at right up next to Anthony's Seafood and Steak House.
Anthony's Oak 1.jpg
Anthony's Oak 2.jpg
Anthony's Oak 3.jpg
CBH- 19' 2" Height- 59' and Crown Spread- 117' x 102'. The House on the property was built in the early 1850's and is now Aunt Jenny's Catfish House. Anthony's Oak was most likely planted after the Home was built so it would be somewhere around 160-170 years old. The Live Oak Listing is now at 256 trees 19' Circumference or larger. Larry

Lucas

Re: Live Oak from Biloxi and Ocean Springs Ms

Post by Lucas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:00 pm

It just occurred to me that I do not here much about live oak plantings.

Is it a heavily favored tree to plant?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Larry Tucei

Re: Live Oak from Biloxi and Ocean Springs Ms

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Lucas- Live Oak is planted all over the Deep South. I planted one I grew yesterday at a Friend's. Nurseries grow and sell thousands of them. A very hardy fast growing tree perfect for this region.

Return to “Live Oak Project”