De La Ronde Plantation Chalmette Louisiana

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

De La Ronde Plantation Chalmette Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:43 pm

De La Ronde Plantation was once a beautiful very large Mansion in what is now Chalmette Louisiana.
Denis_de_la_Ronde_House 1.jpg
Pierre Denis De La Ronde built his home here in 1805. A sugar Plantation that was the most lavish in this region and he was one of the wealthiest of all. De La Ronde was a Major- General, Commander of the Louisiana Militia and a Colonel to Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. The British Garrisoned here before the battle and did much damage to his home. A night battle took place here on Dec 23 1814 when Andrew Jackson had his men probe the British line prior to the battle on Jan 8 1815. De La Ronde planted an avenue of Live Oaks 2 rows of 21 trees from the Mansion south to the Mississippi River approx. 1200 yards long.
De La Ronde Plantation Oaks 1.jpg
It’s claimed that in 1783 in celebration of his 21st birthday the avenue of Oaks were planted.
De La Ronde Plantation Oaks 2.jpg
After some research maps from 1815 had no avenue yet and they were most likely planted in the 1820’s.
De La Ronde Plantation Mansion Remaining Ruins 1.jpg
De La Ronde Plantation Mansion Remaining Ruins 2.jpg
The Mansion burned in 1876 so only the foundation and the great Live Oaks remain. The trees are suffering from the huge Refinery on two sides’ termite and Hurricane damage. Several of the tees are gone and a few are struggling from lack of care. Most of the remaining trees are fine and with some pruning and care should last for many years to come. The average size of the Oaks are between 14-18’ in Circumference with the two largest at 20’ 3” and 21’ 11”. However I did notice two of the dead Oak of about the same size.
Oak #14 East
Oak #14 East
Oak # 14 east was 20’ 3” CBH, Height 75’ with a Crown Spread of 89’ x 93’ it would be much greater but had been pruned from past Hurricanes or storms.
De La Ronde Plantation Oak 1 #16 West.jpg
Oak # 16 east was 18’ 2”, Oak # 16 west had a CBH of 21’ 11”, Spread 90’ x 49.5’ and Height to 59’ also pruned. I added these two Oaks to my listing now at 255.

dbhguru

Re: De La Ronde Plantation Chalmette Louisiana

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Larry,

What kind of vines are growing on the live oak? I'm surprised they would allow that.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: De La Ronde Plantation Chalmette Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Bob- I see them on Live Oak all the time so I didn't really pay much attention but If I had to guess either Wisteria or Muscadine.

Return to “Live Oak Project”