Live Oak Growth Rates Example

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oak Growth Rates Example

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 pm

NTS- This past Tuesday I went to Biloxi Veterans Cemetery to visit my Father who is buried there. On my way out I noticed a Live Oak that had recently been cut so I parked and went over to get some growth rates.
Roadway into Veterans Hospital and Cemetery.jpg
The roadway into the site is lined with some nice sized Live Oaks. I already know how fast Live Oak can grow but it’s always nice to get some more documentation. I have done this 7-10 times and this tree was no different than most it grew fairly fast.
Live Oak Stump 1.jpg
Live Oak Stump 2.jpg
Live Oak Stump 3.jpg
Live Oak Stump 4.jpg
You get a very clear view from the photos on just how fast the Live Oak can grow. The stump measured 4’ Dia. east to west and 4’ 11” north to south so the tree was just around 12’ CBH.
Live Oak Stump 5.jpg
Live Oak Stump 6.jpg
I counted 80-85 rings and I feel like this is a good estimate for the rings were very visible. The inner 12” had rings to as large as .75” with and avg. of .375- .50, the outer 12” had ring widths to .25 with and avg. of .062. This example shows how fast a Live Oak can reach in less than a century. Our soil, climate and moisture in this region along with southern La., Ala., Fla., Ga., and parts of east Texas makes the Live Oak grow rapidly. Larry

bbeduhn

Re: Live Oak Growth Rates Example

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Larry,
That stump looked very healthy--no rot. I assume it lost some big branches.

It slowed down in size but was still putting on some serious girth after 75 years. I measure The Angel Oak in Charleston every year and it still gets an inch in circumference. That's just over a quarter inch per new ring on a 300-350 year old tree. The Middleton Oak isn't putting on that kind of girth but it has sustained some serious damage in the recent past and may be a bit older (perhaps 400+) as well.

It's amazing that a tree can put on girth so quickly while it's also among the densest trees.

Could you post other ring count numbers that you've garnered over the years?
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Brian- Some growth rates on the Ruskin Oak a nice specimen that grows in Ocean Springs Ms. http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2319 Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Wow! I bet the tree has never slowed down and was growing faster (in volume) every year. Those "small width" rings are around a large circumference and a lot of tree!

Will

Return to “Live Oak Project”