Oak Alley Plantaion, Louisiana

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Oak Alley Plantaion, Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:06 pm

NTS- I traveled down to south Louisiana Saturday for an updated measurement for my ongoing documentation of the Live Oaks at Oak Alley. I re-measured the heights of the big Oaks in front of the Mansion.
Oak Alley signature Live Oaks.jpg
The heights of these giants were last measured by me in 2008.
Oak Alley House 1.jpg
The Mansion and the Jacques Telespore Roman Oak.jpg
A couple of photos of the Mansion with the 26 footer Jacques Telespore Roman in the foreground. The Trupulse 360 sure makes it so much faster and easier than before. I measured all 28 Oaks in less than 2 hours. The results were that most of the Oaks had gained height. Two have been broken off from storms and a few lost some footage. Oak Alley now has 4 of the 5 80'+ Live Oaks that I have measured. Only the Andrew Jackson in Daphne Ala. is as tall at 81'. Will holds the height record on Live Oak with a 93 footer if my memory serves me that he measured in Florida, Forest grown Live Oak.
Smaller Live Oak at Oak Alley.jpg
I walked around the east side of the property looking at all the trees and found a CBH-19' 9" Oak, Height-73', Spread- 128' x 141' just east and a little north of the Mansion.
Smaller Live Oak at Oak Alley 2.jpg
A much smaller and younger Oak than the signature Oaks in the Alley but still a nice tree. I've seen this tree many times before but had never measured it.
Me and Sugarcane.jpg
On my way out I stopped a took a shot of the Sugarcane that surrounds the Mansion property-South Louisiana is covered in Sugarcane. For our newer members I have been going to Oak Alley since 2007.
Josephine Stewart Crown Spread.JPG
This is a photo of me at the largest Live Oak in the Alley the Josephine Armstrong Stewart, CBH-29' 11' , Height- 81' and Max Spread of 156'. Named for the wife of owner Andrew Stewart, she created the Oak Alley Foundation in 1966. http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/ Larry
Attachments
Oak_Alley_Listing.xls
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

dbhguru

Re: Oak Alley Plantaion, Louisiana

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Larry,

Thst last image is truly amazing. What an outstanding tree and 81 feet is nothing to sneeze at. LOL at LOA. Can't get cooler than that.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 pm

dbhguru wrote:Larry,

Thst last image is truly amazing. What an outstanding tree and 81 feet is nothing to sneeze at. LOL at LOA. Can't get cooler than that.

Bob
The amazing 'Larry shrink ray' caught in action again.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 am

Randy- Hahahahahah good one! Larry

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 pm

I second that. That last photo really shows how huge that oak it.

Jess

Return to “Live Oak Project”