Nice Live Oak in Long Beach Ms

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Nice Live Oak in Long Beach Ms

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Nts- Some friends of mine told me where a larger Live Oak was located growing near the corner of Pineville Road and Alexander Ave. in Long Beach Ms. I drove over to the location this morning and found this tree just inside the edge of an old grown over property. A nice multi-trunk tree around 150-200 years old.
Pineville Oak 1.jpg
The Pineville Oak measured CBH- 22' 4", Height 66.3' and had a Crown Spread of 116.5' x 126.5'.
Pineville Oak 2.jpg
An average Live Oak on the listing now at 238 trees 19' CBH or larger with this newest addition. Larry

dbhguru

Re: Nice Live Oak in Long Beach Ms

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Larry,

Congratulations. The number of 20-footers continues growing. LLLOL (Translation: Long Live Live Oak Larry)

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Nice Live Oak in Long Beach Ms

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks Bob- I have and upcoming visit back to Oak Alley to Document some of the trees on the Eastern side of the property and I still owe Evergreen Plantation a visit to continue their Documentation. They have tons of Live Oaks in two rows along roadways,one behind the Oversee'ers Cottage and one on the western edge coming into the property. There must be at least 200 LIve Oaks just in these two rows. An image of the Row behind the Cottage over a 1/4 mile long!!!!!
Rows of Live Oak.jpg
The posting I did back in 2013 shows the road behind the Cottage looking south. I measured several of these and some are on the Live Oak listing. This has the larger Oaks planted back in the to early late 1800's and the western road trees are smaller planted in the early 1900's but they are quite big just not giants yet. This is a posting from when I visited them back in 2013. http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5437 I plan on hitting some other places in Louisiana this Fall and Winter. Tons of large Live Oaks throughout La. I should reach 250 Live Oaks on the listing by winter or more!!!! Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”