9th Street Live Oak

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

9th Street Live Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:49 pm

NTS- While riding my Mountain Bike in western Gulfport today I came across a large Live Oak and guessed it at about 22' CBH. I rode 22 miles this morning on my weekly exersize routine. So far this summer I have logged 335 miles. I ride anywhere from 10-25 miles on each outing depending on how much time I have. Enough about my Biking, the tree measured 21' CBH, Height- 52.5' and Crown Spread 95.5' x 89'.
9th Street Oak 1.jpg
I meaured this specimen below the large limb at 3' above the ground. An average size tree for the Live Oak listing but since I have not done one in a while I thought I should post on it. I have found several more in south Ms that size or larger I just haven't take the time to go and measure them. Two photos of the tree. Larry
Attachments
9th Street Oak 2.jpg

dbhguru

Re: 9th Street Live Oak

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Larry,

Congratulations, the march of the 20-footers continues. It looks to me like the live oak makes 20 feet around more often than any other eastern species. Cottonwoods, sycamores, and tuliptrees would be the live oak's competitors. But I doubt that any. of those species can match the live oak in what we see today.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 am

Bob- I agree with you totally. You forgot one species the Bald Cypress. I have a trip planned to go back to Oak Alley in earyly August and remeasure the giant Live Oaks in the front of the Mansion using the Trupluse 360 to get the heights updated. I also have a future trip back to Evergreen Plantation this Fall to continue documentation on about 100+ Large Live Oaks. I could reach 300 in the next year or so on the listing if I stay with it more. Look forward to seeing you in Colorado and everyone!!! I plan hiking to the Summit of Engineer Mountain this year. I also plan on lots of exploring at Hermosa Creek Trail- Can't wait!!!!!! Look out Trees- records will be broken this year with all the horsepower we have coming out!!!! Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 am

Larry,
Keep up the riding! Bicycles and trees mix well.
Boy-went-to-war-in-bicycle in tree.jpg
Boy-went-to-war-in-bicycle in tree.jpg (92.47 KiB) Viewed 826 times
I'll try to find a few more 20 footers in Charleston in October.
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Brian- Wow what a really cool photo. I found another 20 footer on my Bike just before I left for Colorado. I'll post on it soon, it's not real huge but still a nice tree. Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”