Two 20' Live Oaks Biloxi Ms.

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Two 20' Live Oaks Biloxi Ms.

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm

NTS- I measured two Live Oaks for the Live Oak Project today in East Biloxi at the end of Meaut Street. The area where the two Live Oaks are located is just east of the under construction Ohr-O'Keef Museum of Art. https://www.georgeohr.org/Content.aspx?id=128&P=2&1=1 The first tree I'll call Oak 1, a multi-trunk measured CBH- 21' 2" has a height of 66' with a crown spread of 96' x 99'.
Oak 1
Oak 1
This tree is around 150-200 years old and had some damage by Hurricane Katrina. It grows approx 100 yards east of the Museum along with many more trees that are smaller.
Oak 1a
Oak 1a
The second tree was east and north around 300 yards from the Museum.
Oak 2
Oak 2
Oak II measured CBH-20' 5" Height 61.5' and Crown Spread of 131.5' x 111'. This Live Oak is between 150-200 years old approx.
Oak 2a
Oak 2a
The surrounding area of 100 acres or so has 80-100 or so Live Oaks with a few at 17-18' CBH with mostly trees in the 14-16' CBH. This property before Hurricane Camille was filled with Old Mansions along Hwy 90 and reconstruction was sparse afterwards but began to reshape until Hurricane Katrina destroyed the area once again. No housing development has taken place in this area since the destruction by Katrina. These are the first two Live Oaks that I have measured in 2014 and are on the bottom end of the Live Oak Listing. Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”