Evergreen Plantation South Louisiana Part I

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Evergreen Plantation South Louisiana Part I

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 pm

NTS- Evergreen Plantation is located in southern Louisiana near the town of Wallace at 4677 Hwy. 18, Edgard Louisiana. The property is loaded with large Live Oaks and I will be documenting them for the owners. It will take many visits as there are close to 200 Live Oaks planted here. Most of the trees are planted in two rowed Alley’s stretching from the River Road North to South along two roadways that run through the property and are about ½ mile in length. The first Alley had some Live Oaks planted around 1790’s-1800 and in later years others would have been planted 1850’s-1900. The second Alley was planted in the mid 1940’s and the trees are already becoming quite big. The House was built in 1790 and several of the larger trees would have been planted somewhere around that time period. I would estimate closer to 1800 after the Home was built and the property cleared of Forest. I and a friend Donald Phillips spent most of a day measuring the trees around the main House and the Overseer’s Cottage which was at the beginning of the first Alley of Oaks. We Documented 21 trees of which 9 were greater than 19’ in Circumference.
The main house was constructed mostly in 1790, renovated to its current Greek revival style in 1832, and the plantation's historical crop was sugar cane. It was an operating plantation up until about 1930, when the Depression brought about the abandonment of the house. However, it continued to produce sugar cane under the direction of the bank that owned it, and is still a working sugar cane plantation today. It was extensively restored during the 1940s, with 300,000 bricks from the demolished Uncle Sam Plantation used in the restoration.
The complex was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1992.
The plantation includes 37 contributing buildings, all but eight of them antebellum, making it one of the most complete plantation complexes in the state and the South. Of great significance are the 22 slave quarters, arranged in a double row along an alley of oak trees. Among the outbuildings are a garconnière, where young bachelors of the family or guests could stay; a pigeonnier for keeping pigeons (a sign of status among the planters); an overseer's cottage; and late 19th century barns.
Because of its quality and significance, the plantation is also included among the first 26 featured sites on the Louisiana African American Heritage Trail. The house is open for tours every day except Sundays; tour times are at 9:30 am, 11:30 am, and 2:00 pm.
Parts of Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (2012) were filmed at this plantation.
I would like to thank Jane Boddie and Steven Scott for their hospitality during my first visit to Evergreen Plantation. The first Live Oaks we measured are A-I near the main House and the remainders are 1-12 at the first Alley. I also measured a short but fat Southern Red Cedar that I will include. The following are the measurements of the 9 larger Live Oaks of the 21 trees measured. Oak B, CBH-21' 6", Height- 78.5' and Crown Spread- 106.5 x 124.5'. Oak D, CBH- 22' 6", Height-66.4' and Spread-93' x 120'. Oak E, CBH-22' 3", Height-44' and Spread-76.5' x 94.5'. This trees had major limb damage from a Hurricane. Oak G, CBH- 19' 8", Height-66' and Spread-90' x 123'. Oak H, CBH-22' 7", Height- 71.9' and Spread-96' x 118'. Oak I, CBH- 23' 11", Height- 69.5' and Spread-112.5' x 123'. These are the Live Oaks around the main House the following are at the beginning of the first Alley. Oak 4, CBH- 21' 1", Height- 76.5', and Spread- 106.5' x 120'. Oak 6, CBH- 20', Height- 66.5' and Spread- 102' x 114'. Oak 11, CBH- 22' 7", Height-74.5' and Spread-102' x 124.5'. The following are images of the Plantation and their beautiful Live Oaks. Larry
Attachments
Alley of Oaks
Alley of Oaks
Evergreen House
Evergreen House
Back of House
Back of House
Oak B
Oak B
Oak D
Oak D
Oak E
Oak E
Oak G
Oak G
Oak H
Oak H
Oak I
Oak I
Oak 4
Oak 4
Oak 6
Oak 6
Oak 11
Oak 11

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Evergreen Plantation South Louisiana Part I

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon May 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Man! All of those gorgeous live oaks make me homesick for the low country! (And it's hard to make me miss that place.)

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Larry,

You da man! You daaaaa man! The trees are great and the photos are great. What a species! What's the current count of 20-footers?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Bob- 214 Live Oaks over 20 Cir and 16 over 19' for a total of 230. I will reach 300 in the next few years and that will maybe be the end for now. The updated Live Oak Listing with Evergreen Plantation Oaks in bold. Larry
Attachments
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
Live Oak Listing
(27.44 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon May 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Have you guys ever been to Lover's Oak in my home town of Brunswick?

Click on image to see its original size

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm

Is it just me or does it look like oak #6 almost uprooted at some point in time?

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 am

]JRS[/b]- Cool tree! I have not been over to Georgia but look out I'm coming over in the near future. Will Fell and I have been talking in the past about Live Oaks in Georgia and I know of several large Live Oaks thanks to him, research and others. Randy- The lean may have been caused by many things, a storm, bumped when it was young, planted crooked, etc. Also during growth the soil many have loosened and the tree would have grown leaning towards the sun. It is not uncommon for Live Oaks to grow in this manner. I have seen it many times. Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am

Larry,
I noticed that just two on your list have topped 80'. What is your tallest recorded live oak? I've stalled at 79.5'. I imagine 90' is possible but 100' certainly seems unlikely.

James,
That Lover's oak is a beast. I'm sure somebody has measured the entire circumference and called it a 40 footer or whatever it comes out to.
Brian

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Brian- Those are the two tallest- Andrew Jackson in Daphne Ala. 81' and Antoine Sobral at Oak Alley Louisiana 80.7'. Live Oaks don't grow past 80' from what I've measured in the open grown setting however, in the Forest setting they can be around 90+. It may be possible for them to reach 100' but only William Bartram could tell us that. I remember Will posting a Live Oak from Florida in the past over 90' in a Forest setting. I went back to the ENTS old postings prior to 2010 and it was 93.3'. Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”