St. Joseph Plantation Live Oaks Vachiere Louisiana

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

Re: St. Joseph Plantation Live Oaks Vachiere Louisiana

Post by John Harvey » Wed May 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Great work as always Larry. I haven't been down south enough to find a lot of live oaks but I did find one in Chesapeake Virginia over 20ft. 20ft4in CBH.
Attachments
Live Oak VA Google Earth.jpg
Live Oak VA 20ft4in.jpg
Live Oak (3).jpg
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed May 28, 2014 8:11 pm

John- Thanks. I'll add your Live Oak to the listing. The first tree from Virginia and I know there must be several large Live Oaks in that State. BTW, Virginia is the northern most natural range of Live Oak. Did you measure the Height or Spread? That is a wild looking tree. Does it have a name? Larry

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Thu May 29, 2014 6:00 am

Height 51ft spread 93ft. I don't think the tree has a name. The pictures hardly capture the mystique of this tree. Its surrounded by a huge thick of thorns and bushes. I had to crawl through a lot to get to the base but once I did I felt like I was in something from the Hobbit, like there should have been little fairies flying around. Really ancient looking trunk.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

Johnny- How about we name it the Ancient or Hobbit Oak? Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”