St. Joseph Plantation Live Oaks Vachiere Louisiana

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

St. Joseph Plantation Live Oaks Vachiere Louisiana

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm

NTS- St. Joseph Plantation In addition to the Manor Home, we have numerous outbuildings for you to explore. These include original slave cabins, detached kitchen, blacksmith’s shop, carpenter’s shed, and schoolhouse. Several buildings have been moved to their present location from another part of the property, but most remain exactly where they were built. Composed of 2500 acres (including our “sister” plantation, Felicity), our property stretches back from the Mississippi River as far as the eye can see - and beyond! is one of the few fully intact sugar cane plantations in the River Parishes. St. Joseph Plantation has several large Live Oaks in the 150-200 year old class. I had made arrangements to come down and help them Document the trees growing there. I had previously documented their other Mansion- Felicity, a few weeks ago and all eleven of the Live Oaks that I measured at the properties are around the same ages. The Mansion was built in 1830 and I would estimate the trees would have been planted about that time, making them somewhere around 183 years old. I measured six Live Oaks at St. Joseph and five at Felicity. All eleven Oaks are registered on the Louisiana Live Oak Society listing and all are named. One more tree making the listing twelve broke in half a few years ago and has been cut to ground level. It most likely was a hollowed multi-trunk tree looking at the stump. The growth rates were hard to read somewhere near .125-.25 radial per year and I collected a small piece of trunk to get a better estimation, more on that later. http://www.stjosephplantation.com/ The names of the Oaks are as follows, Stan Jr., Joseph Waguespack, St. Joe Oak, Simon, Jean Baptiste, Theodore, Emile, Omer, Saturnin, Felicity, Waguespack, and Stan Sr. They are numbered 3839 through 3868 on the Louisiana Live Oak Society listing and I will be helping them figure out which tree is what name in a future project, the locations have been misplaced when re-opened to tours a few years ago. I’ll call them Oak 1-6 for now starting with #1, CBH- 22’ 5”, Height- 63.5’ and Crown Spread-137.5’ x 148’. This Oak is really a fine specimen growing west and north from the Mansion about 200 yards. Oak #2 CBH-20’ 4”, Height-61.5’ and Spread-101.5’ x 114’ Oak #3 CBH- 21’ 9”, Height-70.5’ and Spread- 126’ x 123’ Oak #4 CBH-20’ 3”, Height-63.5’ and Spread-131.5’ x 136.5’, Oak #5 CBH-20’ 1”, Height- 49.5’ and Spread-84’ x 90’, Oak #6 CBH-22’ 6”, Height-61.5’ and Spread-106.5’ x 135’. The Live Oak retains its leaves throughout winter then in early spring they shed the old leaves and regenerate new ones as in all the photographs, thus the name Live Oak. I look forward to returning to south Louisiana and the St. Joseph area later in the spring for many more Live Oak discoveries. Larry
Attachments
St. Joseph Mansion
St. Joseph Mansion
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 1
Oak 2
Oak 2
Oaks 2 & 3 and I'm standing under 3
Oaks 2 & 3 and I'm standing under 3
Oak 3
Oak 3
Oak 3
Oak 3
Oak 4
Oak 4
Oak 4
Oak 4
Oak 5
Oak 5
Oak 5
Oak 5
Oak 6
Oak 6
Oak 6
Oak 6

dbhguru

Re: St. Joseph Plantation Live Oaks Vachiere Louisiana

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Larry,

Congratulations. You've scored again. So what's the total number of 20-footers now?

These 20-footers are so much more common than I think any of us had realized. Which state do you think has the most, or is it too early to tell?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Larry,

I just ran a photo measurement of you and Oak #4.
LarryTuceiandOak#4.png
You list the girth as 20' 3" or 20.25 ft. The photo measurement is 20.5 ft.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks Bob- Your photographic measurements are becoming so accurate soon I won't have to measure them anymore, Hahahaha! Amazing formula! The listing is now at 220 Live Oaks with a CBH of 19' or greater. Louisiana has the most at 94, with Ms. at 84, Ala. 25, S.C. 8, Fla. 8 and Georgia 1. The trees in S.C. and Ga. were measured by other NTS members mostly Eli Dickerson. I have added many Live Oaks to the listing lately and have an appointment in the next couple of weeks with the owners of Evergreen Plantation in Edgard La. that will produce several new members. Louisiana by far will have the largest and most Live Oaks in the country. I'm almost positive that the number of 19-20' CBH or greater from Louisiana will someday reach 150-200. Ms will have a few more as well as Ala., Ga., S.C., and Florida should have many. I high-lighted the latest trees added to the listing from St. Joseph Plantation. Larry
Attachments
Copy_of_Copy_of_Live_Oak_Project_20070524.xlsx
Detailed Listing
(38.8 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
Live Oak Listing
(26.71 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Larry,

Thanks for posting the spreadsheet with all the live oak measurements. It's really helpful to have them all compiled like that and to see which ones are single versus mult-stem.

You used to list a tree from Audubon Park as the largest single stemmed live oak, 35'2" cbh. I don't see that tree in the latest listing. Did something happen to it?

Jess

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Jess- That Live Oak at Audubon Park was on Dr. Stephens original 1935 Live Oak Listing of 43 and is the largest Live Oak there. Originally named Etienne de Bore Oak it is now called the Tree of Life. When I first measured it back in 07, at 4' 6" there was a buttress, so later I went back re-measured it in 08 and got 30' under the buttress. I updated the list to reflect that different measurement, it's # 10. It may have a long limb but I don't recall what the length was. The next time I go back down to Audubon I'll re-measure it. Larry

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the info. So the Walkaih Bluff Oak is now the largest diameter single-stemmed live oak?

I've attached a reorganized version of your spreadsheet. I wasn't planning to reformat it, but I needed to for a new ranking system I'm toying with. I changed all the measurements to numbers rather than text, so that they can now be used in calculations.

Jess
Attachments
Live_Oak_Project_20070524_JRed.xlsx
(72.82 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Jess- That is the largest for now, maybe in the future I will locate one larger. Larry

williamguion

Post by williamguion » Sun May 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Larry, just south of New Roads, LA, on Hwy 1, you'll find the Randall Oak (Dr. Stephens called it the Maryland Oak). It's a single trunk oak with a circumference of more than 35 feet. It was #11 on Dr. Stephens original list of 43 inductees into the Live Oak Society and is a very stunning tree. If you count each truck of the Seven Brothers Oak (in Washington, LA) as a separate tree (since that's what legend suggests they are), there is one single trunk that is approximately 32 feet in circumference. There is also one more large single trunk oak near New Roads called the Stonaker Oak that is 29-1/2 feet in circumference. It's an old tree with lots of wear and tear from being right on the edge of the old river road. It was #16 on Dr. Stephens list of orginal 43 Live Oak Society trees. Good work and happy oaking!

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed May 28, 2014 10:50 am

William- Thanks for the info and locations. I'm always reading about these and many other great Live Oaks. I remember both of the trees you mention but have not taken the time to locate them. I must get over to New Roads and measure them. The False River area has some really nice Live Oaks and thank you again for reminding me. I will get over and measure them soon. Larry

Return to “Live Oak Project”