most impressive live oak

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Gary Smith

most impressive live oak

Post by Gary Smith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 am

Larry,

I know you have stood next to many majestic live oaks.

Which one has struck you as the most impressive?

Gary

Larry Tucei

Re: most impressive live oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Gary, Wow thats a tough question. There are so many now that stand out in my mind. One is the E.O. Hunt Oak in Long Beach, its Huuuuge, another is the Duffie Oak in Mobile, Another is the Josephine Stewart at Oak Alley. I can't forget the Andrew Jackson Oak in Daphne, Ala., it was the first Live Oak I measured back in 06., 80' tall. All great Live Oaks. I have so many that its almost impossible to just pick one! The great Trunks of the 30+ CBH are amoung my favorites as are the Trees with Spreads of 150'+. Some of my favorites are Multi-trunked and some Single trunks. Gary I'll have to get back to you on this in more detail. Thanks for asking. Larry

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Gary, One Live Oak just couldn't be the most impressive, there all that way to me. Here are some of my favorite Live Oaks. I have so many these are just a few of them. Larry
Attachments
The Duffie Oak
The Duffie Oak
The Saint Johns Cathedral Oak
The Saint Johns Cathedral Oak
The Biloxi Oak
The Biloxi Oak
The Walkaih Bluff Oak
The Walkaih Bluff Oak
Josephine Stuart Oak
Josephine Stuart Oak
E. O.  Hunt Oak
E. O. Hunt Oak
Andrew Jackson Oak
Andrew Jackson Oak

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Larry,

I am jealous. Dang what trees! All of them are awesome. My favorite one here, by a small margin is the St. Johns Cathedral Oak. What a big chunk of a trunk!

James.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 pm

James, The St. Johns Cathedral Oak is 30' CBH, 55.5' Height, whats cool its spread is the most perfect I've seen 153' x 153'. Looks like a big green snowball. When I measured the Oak it was raining, so I need to make a trip back to Layfayette, La., and do it in more depth. I'm planning a trip down to La., sometime soon and one to Ala., for more Big Live Oaks! Larry

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Here's one of the more impressive oaks that I've seen. I like it more than Seven Sisters, anyway.
Here's one of the more impressive oaks that I've seen. I like it more than Seven Sisters, anyway.
Here's the live oak in Texas we were talking about on the BB before, with me in it for scale (though it's blurry). Nice tree, and impressive for that far south in Texas, but not that huge.
Here's the live oak in Texas we were talking about on the BB before, with me in it for scale (though it's blurry). Nice tree, and impressive for that far south in Texas, but not that huge.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm

MD, Where is the location of the Live Oak in your first photo?

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 pm

To be honest, Larry, I'm not exactly sure. I know it was somewhere southeast of New Orleans, so it may not have survived Katrina. It was in a graveyard beside a state highway, and I would guess it was highway 23. I know I've got some other photos from the same trip, and one of them is from Becnel's produce in Belle Chasse.Whenever I go back to NO, I'm going to look for it, I think I could find it if I saw the area again. I was visiting my sister in Chalmette at the time and kept driving around looking for trees.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:23 am

MD, I started to guess Louisiana the cemetary looks similar to those near New Orleans. Larry

Gary Smith

Post by Gary Smith » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Great photos. Thanks, Larry.

As individual specimens a majestic live oak is as good as it gets in the South.

Return to “Live Oak Project”