Live Oak Project (Leaves)

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oak Project (Leaves)

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 am

ENTS, Hello all. I noticed that in the past week or two Live Oak, and Darlington Oak leaves are starting to turn yellow and fall off. They both keep leaves on all winter then in spring drop them and produce new ones. I have both species in my yard so I get to rake plenty of leaves, (good exercise). Thus the name Live Oak for the leaves stayed on all throughout the winter months. I'll post some photos of the leaf change this weekend. Good tree hunting. Larry

Larry Tucei

Re: Live Oak Project (Leaves)

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 am

ENTS, Photos of a immature Live Oak with some good color during leaf change then drop. Leaf Change on the Friendship Oak, which has a Crown spread of over 165'. A spectacular Live Oak in Long Beach Ms., that is very well know throughout this region. Almost complete leaf drop on a Mature Live Oak. Thanks to our many Live Oaks here on the Coastal Region of Ms., we enjoy green all through the winter period. I'll go back when the leaves are greening on these examples and post some images on them. So many Live Oaks So little time! Larry
Attachments
Immature Live Oak Leaf Change.jpg
Friendship Oak Leaf Change.jpg
Live Oak Spring Leaf Drop.jpg

Return to “Live Oak Project”