Two Whoppers, MTSF

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Two Whoppers, MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 31, 2010 10:00 am

ENTS,

As I slowly wrap up the pine measuring in MTSF, I am faced with an almost bewildering amount of information in numbers, texts, and images to sort through. I can put lots of spins on the information to different purposes, but plain, sheer enjoyment may be the highest purpose.

The first of two images shows the huge Indian Springs Pine. With a girth of 12.0 feet and a height of between 140 and 141 feet, it asserts its dominance over the Indian Springs cluster of 160-year old pines. I was attracted to the pines large trunk by route of a large root as shown below.
IndianSpringsPineSmall.jpg
The Trout Brook area of Mohawk features three 12-foot girth pines. The one below is extremely handsome. I have named it the Jefferson Pine after Thomas Jefferson. It is the first of the "Presidential Pines". It measures 12.4 feet around and reaches 142.6 feet in height. Mr. Jefferson is quite handsome.
JeffersonPineSmall.jpg
I also named the James Madison pine, but didn't take an image of it. I feared I was over-doing it on the trunks of white pines. However, Mr. madison weighs in with a girth of 12.0 feet and a height of 147.4 feet. In life, Jefferson was quite tall and Madison equally short. I chose the taller of the two pines to be Madison's in honoring of his role in writing the Constitution. Finding the Washington pine is going to be a challenge. That honor may go to the Trout Brook pine (a generic name) or it may not. Lots of thinking to do on this one.

Well, its off to the Berkshires and Taconics today. Pictures, numbers, and explanations tonight.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

gnmcmartin

Re: Two Whoppers, MTSF

Post by gnmcmartin » Mon May 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Bob:

Nice pics, wonderful trees. I am a big fan of pictures lookking straight up the trunk--any chance of getting some of those for someone whose appetite for white pine pictures in huge?

--Gaines

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon May 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Bob,

You are enviable, you know that? If I could only get in the woods as much as you do!

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

sjhalow

Post by sjhalow » Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

It seems fitting that 2nd president and native son, John Adams should get a tree as well.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm

ENTS,

John Adams, George Washington, and Teddy Roosevelt will all get trees. This process has just begun.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”