Jake continues growing

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Jake continues growing

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Ents,

I spent a goodly part of the afternoon re-measuring the Jake Swamp white pine. It is now 176.0 feet tall. It is battling the needle cast fungus, and at some point I expect it will go down hill rapidly, but not this year.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

JHarkness

Re: Jake continues growing

Post by JHarkness » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Bob,

Is there any known treatment for the needlecast? I'm sure if there is, that the MA DCR would be willing to fund the treatment of such an extraordinary tree. How are the other pines at MTSF holding up to it, such as Saheda and the Joe Norton Pine?

Is there any chance that Jake will make it to 180' before the fungus does too much harm?

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 am

Joshua,

DCR has not yet identified any treatment. Joe Norton has the fungus, as does Saheda. Sad. They all look a little thin-crowned. But Jake looks a little worse.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 am

What a shame, hopefully a treatment will become available soon, it would be awful to lose these pines... Could any of the needlecast fungicides for blue spruce work for white pine? My understanding is that most believe the white pine needlecast to be "purely aesthetic" and so little to no treatment research is being done, but the fungus attacking blue spruce outside of it's native range is apparently "serious" enough to warrant research, there are a number of treatments for the spruce needlecast from what I remember. Application methods include soil injections and bark sprays, perhaps this could work on a supersized white pine? It's not much consolation, but at least it's not a blister rust outbreak... that would be absolutely horrible.

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:10 pm

I am happy to see it still growing in spite of the problems.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”